Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-10-2010 , 08:33 PM
The thin red line

Tank track with ncloth

Im just trying to see if I can duplicate some thing I saw in lightwave (the tank moved on and over ground without a motion path), at the moment it is hard to model the cloth around the wheels so there is no stretch, any idears are welcome.......dave

Edit:I will do it manualy

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 03-12-2010 at 06:47 PM.
# 2 30-10-2010 , 10:01 PM
The thin red line
OK done it manualy, what you are looking at is the ncloth reacting to the wheels, to meny beers to do any more tonight

Edit:this is good I am only using the default settings at the moment

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 30-10-2010 at 10:26 PM.
# 3 31-10-2010 , 01:29 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks interesting dave...and the lagers sound good

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 31-10-2010 , 03:30 AM
Subscriber
Just curious dave, wouldn't it be easier to model the treads in a 360 degree circle, apply a wire deformer to them, use a geometry constrain between the wire deformer to the road wheels , and then geometry constrain the road wheels to ground plane, Set up 2 sdk's on the tank treads, one to allow them to roll forwards and back when the tank group node is translated locally along the correct axis for forward in your orientation and another for the treads to rotate opposite to each other for left and right turns, so that all you have to do is then translate the tank around your scene, and maya does the rest for you?

i know the process its self is a bit more indepth, and i might have the geometry constrains backwards, it might be constrain the wire and wheels to teh ground, i don't recall off the top of my head, but...i would go that route other then use n cloth mate... just my two cents.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 5 11-11-2010 , 09:10 PM
The thin red line
Sorry for not replying legend yes you are most likley right but I wanted to see if it could be done. I must admit I would not know how to do it your way if you could point me in the right direction for a tutorial I would be greatful, here is as far as I have got see link below...............dave

https://s979.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=Track5.mp4

# 6 11-11-2010 , 09:26 PM
Lifetime Member
Not bad at all mate!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 11-11-2010 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber
DAve, i'll dig somethign up, or write you somethign later on to see hwat i can come up with, don't have the time at the moment, sorry. But i'll put it on my to do list for the evening.

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 8 11-11-2010 , 11:49 PM
Subscriber
Dave, this is the best way to do a tank track that i've ever found
It works for tank tracks, Chains on gears, Chain saw blades, anything of that nature.

https://www.noir.org/tutorials/Xen%20.../treadtut.html

ITs the way i would set up a system like this that was necessary for animation.
allows for geometry constraint to the ground plane, and easy setup of SDK linked and driven y the Tanks group node's translate and rotate so that all you ever have to do after initial setup is to just grab the tank group in outliner and translate or rotate it as you please, everything else will then be automated.

hope this helps,
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 9 12-11-2010 , 07:34 AM
The thin red line
Hi Legend
I did some thing simular I used the create animation snapshot, make a nurb circle adjust to the shape of the wheels then change the time line to how meny you think you need then run snapshot. The only little problem doing this is the bottom half are upside down but I fixed that with running the snapshot to where invert then change the motion path then run again...........dave

# 10 12-11-2010 , 03:49 PM
The thin red line

# 11 13-11-2010 , 07:06 PM
The thin red line
Modelling the hull and a turret, know idea how the end result will be doing it as I go along. I havent used the 3 button on the hull or the hatch see how it comes along..............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 13-11-2010 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber
DAve mate, On something like this, just to keep poly count in check, you might try setting the mesh up as if you were planning to smooth it, but just soften the normals instead. Larger pieces that can be seen better this will not work for but smaller detail pieces this is a great solution, instead of making a bolt for instance that is 100 polys after smooth to look good. Have one that's 15 polys or what ever with softened normals, Unless you plan on having up close and really tight shots on all the detail.

For mid range and small details though, The soften edge on a mesh set up for smoothing gives you the same effect of roundness, With the added bonus that you can always smooth it later with no additional effort if you want, since its set up like that already.

hope that made sense

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 13 13-11-2010 , 09:11 PM
The thin red line
Thanks Legend
I dont think I am going to get any closer than the shots I am posting. It will be a animation in the end, The only things on the hull that are smoothed are the tubes. I did have your way in mind model so it could be smooth if it did not look right but have not cleaned the mesh up yet but I will do..............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 13-11-2010 , 10:28 PM
Looking good so far dave. My only suggestion / request would be please render with a background color other the black.

All I can assume is that everyone but me keeps their gamma set really high because I cannot see any detail in black background renders.

I have to save the images, then open them in photoshop, then crank the bejesus out of the gamma to see any detail.

For surface details, renders with a light grey material, against a medium grey environment background, on top of a medium grey stage works well. AO renders are best.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 13-11-2010 at 10:31 PM.
# 15 13-11-2010 , 11:10 PM
The thin red line
I do understand ctbram, my eye sight is not as good as it was, is this better for you.............dave

Attached Thumbnails