Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-10-2003 , 02:54 AM
Location: lost... and I'm NOT asking directions!! (psst... could you tell me where I am?)

Morph from one character to another...

Hi. I've had fairly good luck recently finding threads through the search feature that answer my questions, but I couldn't find this one.

Basically, I want to take character A and morph him into character B, sort of like Mystique from X-Men. I want the change to be dramatic, and the character will be moving while the change takes place.

I'm sure such an effect will be time-consuming, but if you wouldn't mind pointing me to a tutorial, or getting me on the right track, that would be great.

Thanks!

Me and THIS army!
# 2 25-10-2003 , 08:11 AM
The Maya Mountain
The only way I know of for one piece of geometry to morph into 2 targets is to first create one, then duplicate it and make it into the 2nd without adding or taking away any geometry and using a blend shape. Not exactly easy. The most likely way would be some sort of blend between two different models, whether it's a particle effect or whatever to hide the transition.

# 3 26-10-2003 , 03:48 AM
Location: lost... and I'm NOT asking directions!! (psst... could you tell me where I am?)
That's the method I use to simulate speech. I've tried using a blend shape to morph a sphere into a cube, but to no avail. If it can't do that then it certainly can't do what I'm talking about.

I have two completely separate models that I intend to use for this effect, so a blend shape won't really work for what I want.

Thanks for your help, though.

Me and THIS army!
# 4 26-10-2003 , 01:37 PM
Subscriber
the best way ive found is t create 2 object one which will represent the original and match its geomentry, the other to match the second and its geometry. once i get there the hard part begins. morph both models half way to the others form, i use a script i got from highend 3d web site, then key the transparency so when they meet the same shape fade one out and the other in.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 26-10-2003 , 04:35 PM
Wholly crap... I didn't even think to look for a script like that.

I found one. It works like a charm.

I just need to make the transitional model a much lower resolution for the script to do it's dirty work, but this is okay since I smooth them out later anyway.

thanks!

Me and THIS army!
# 6 27-10-2003 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
np

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 7 06-09-2005 , 08:06 PM
Is there a name of the script or just "morphing" script?