Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 46 27-11-2010 , 01:11 AM
And a start on another one....
Going for the evil mastermind look.
Think I better stop for the night now or else I'll probably end up with zero sleep tonight! lol

Attached Thumbnails
# 47 27-11-2010 , 01:50 AM
EduSciVis-er
Haha, I love all of it. Keep it up. You're getting in some really good practice.

# 48 27-11-2010 , 12:35 PM
Love them all, nice!

# 49 27-11-2010 , 12:40 PM
Subscriber
user added image yeah, liking these. This has turned into a cool thread.user added image

# 50 28-11-2010 , 01:25 PM
Thanks guys!

Glad people are liking them, they are great fun to do, and as stwert said, really good practice too. I'm finally starting to navigate around Zbrush without having to think about where certain tools are etc.

Done a bit more work on the last one, started painting the skin and did a bit of work on his hair. Need to give him his eyebrows and texture the eyes next.
I managed to get myself a few days off work this week so I'll be making the most of it, staying warm and being creative. It is freezing here and any excuse to stay indoors and model is a good one! lol

Attached Images
# 51 05-12-2010 , 02:09 PM
Been working on another character, and using it to learn retopology in Z as I've never tried it properly, and this'll be my first character built and sculpted completely in Zbrush, so lots to learn and try out!

Attached Thumbnails
# 52 05-12-2010 , 04:10 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Cool! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. So is that the new topology that you created in ZB? And did you start from Zspheres?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 53 05-12-2010 , 10:29 PM
Hi Steve,

Yep, that's the new topology as it stands now, am going to do a little bit more before I go to bed (just got in), hopefully get the arms done.
It was mostly zspheres, but I did use a sphere3d for the head to start of with (for some reason...lol) I built various parts of him separately then merged them all to do the topology. The reason for that was I wasn't fully sure of how he was going to look in the beginning so doing the arms in one piece, and the torso and legs in another seemed like a good idea.
It did kind of work, and was useful for scaling seperate pieces up and down without having to do any masking, it is my first model built fully in Z so a lot of learning is still needed, I'l try another way next time and hopefully it will get easier! lol

Am away for a few days for my girlfriends birthday, but when I get back I shall be back to it!

Last edited by Dango77; 05-12-2010 at 10:35 PM.
# 54 10-12-2010 , 05:40 PM
Whilst taking a break from my other retopo project today I sculpted this little fella, Javis is his name (named after one of my girlfriends fish).
think I'll paint him later, and then get back to my other project once he's done as he should be quite quick to finish.

Attached Thumbnails
# 55 10-12-2010 , 07:26 PM
The thin red line
He looks cool, like he has false teeth........lol....dave

# 56 10-12-2010 , 10:48 PM
Hahaha, I hadn't looked at him that way Dave, he does actually!

Since I read that I've been thinking of him looking old, maybe with a walking stick, might do that version once he's all painted etc, cheers for giving me the idea!

# 57 10-12-2010 , 10:52 PM
The thin red line
Dango77
How about a little animation of him spitting out those teeth and getting some sharper ones..........dave

# 58 11-12-2010 , 08:47 AM

Dango77
How about a little animation of him spitting out those teeth and getting some sharper ones..........dave

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea! I had thought he might be quite a good character to animate at some point, the thought of painting weights puts me off a little but it's always worth it in the end!
I'll give it some more thought, cheers Dave.

# 59 11-12-2010 , 11:02 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I want giant angry cave troll!!!! user added image

lol, I like the fish. You should have him menacingly lent over a small fish (reference Finding Nemo) but also have a giant silhouette of an even bigger fish in the background.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 60 12-12-2010 , 01:05 AM
Sorry Steve!

Haha, I shall get you your troll asap!
I will get back to it this week, just keep getting distracted by work and other sculpting ideas.

I like the idea of the fish over a fish over a fish, not really too sure what pose he'll end up in, need to get the sculpting and texturing finished first, then decide. I do actually have a reason for sculpting this fish, so maybe Ill draw on that a little.
He actually came to be because my girlfriend has this fish called Jarvis, and whenever I'm there he comes round to the side of the tank that faces into the room (its a spherical tank, and in a corner) and sits, staring at me!

Psycho stalker fish!!! lol

At first it was just him that did it, and now he has enlisted another one to join him in his staring, though this one doesn't seem to have the hang of it, Jarvis sits very still looking, but this one tends to move around a little more.
I'm thinking of sculpting the friend fish too, as he's slightly bigger and not quite as intelligent seeming, so there's a kind of comedy duo thing going on.....

Anyhow, we'll see, I'll just keep going for now and see what happens!