Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 10-12-2002 , 02:38 AM

ResolveNonSolidShell Error. Help?

Hey all,
I'm using Maya 4.0 and am having what I assume are newbie problems.
I am creating a polygon object by moulding polygons using the boolean operations and by moving the vertices. I then connect the different sections of my object together by using the Boolean->Union tool. However, after a while of doing this, I get an error. When I try to using Boolean->Union, my entire model vanishes and I get an output window that says "Problem with ResolveNonSolidShell". Does anyone know what this means and what I'm doing wrong?

BTW, this is my first post, so hello all! user added image

Thanks in advance,

Rage_Matrix.

Black House
"Wrapped in metal, wrapped in ivy."
# 2 10-12-2002 , 10:50 AM
Im not sure if this error "ResolveNonSolidShell" can be fixed by this, but ...

booleans can produce strange results at times, and in general I try to avoid them. But if you insist on booleaning, make sure that your geometry is clean, that is with no non-manifold or non-planar vertices or faces. Try to run a clean-up on your model, if that still doesnt't help. Try to move your models a tiny bit and do the union again.

hope this could help a bit

/ ctrl-z
# 3 10-12-2002 , 03:42 PM
Thanks for your reply. user added image Couldn't fix the problem, though. Is there an easier way to merge two polygon meshes together without using combine (which would produce unneeded geometry "inside" the model)?

Grrr.....this stuff is hard!

Rage_Matrix

Black House
# 4 10-12-2002 , 04:14 PM
I've gotten the same exact error when using bevelplus on a couple of curves, then using one of the extruded shapes in a boolean operation with the other. In my case it's because the curves are non-manifold. Can someone give a brief explanation what "non-manifold" actually means?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 10-12-2002 at 04:20 PM.
# 5 10-12-2002 , 04:34 PM
You can find the explanation in the online docs glossary.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 10-12-2002 , 04:45 PM
Doh! Ok, have a heart...morning coffee hasn't kicked in, yet. user added image

# 7 10-12-2002 , 05:53 PM
Rage,

I've been messing around and figured out another solution. I originally tried what Undo suggested by cleaning up the model but it didn't work. I went back to the original curve and did a "rebuild curve" then bevelled, and the boolean actions worked fine, for me, anyways. Give it a whirl and see if it works.

# 8 11-12-2002 , 01:10 AM
Doesn't work for me....I'm not really using curves anyway, just sticking polygons together. After using "cleanup" on both polygons and then trying Boolean->Union, I don't get the error message but the "unionized" result vanishes until I click undo.

Am I missing something basic here?

Rage_Matrix

Black House