Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-05-2007 , 04:08 AM

Interior Lighting Question

Hello all

Just had a question about lighting an old 1930's style office for an image i thought of.
I was wondering about the best way to light an interior space, i tried the general 3 point lighting but it doesnt look that great as the light doesnt bounce around as it should in the real world.
If anyone had any tips that would be great. Mental ray is an option but my computer finds it hard to cope.

Im going to buy a copy of the interior DVD tutorial from Simply maya soon but until then any help would be appreciated.

Il post an image soon
Thanks
user added image

# 2 19-05-2007 , 03:00 AM
The Maya Mountain
3-point lighting is generally just a basic, starting point, and may not work for many specific situations. Especially for an interior scene. You'll have to take into account your scene's light sources and set the lights up specifically for your scene's needs.

# 3 20-05-2007 , 12:10 AM
Thanks mtmckinley

Il try that tonight, the light was going to mainly come from a large window in the wall, so il use a main light from there and fill the rest of the room with seperate lights.

Would i have to change the light setup if i were to make the scene at night or would i just change the light colour?

# 4 20-05-2007 , 01:10 AM
Acid44

hmmmm...

if the light is mainly coming from one source(the window0 because that source is outside i would say to do both but not really change the setup just move the light around and change the colour until you get the right feel for the scene also maybe make the internal lights brighter to simulate that the people turned up there lights for night timeuser added image just a though
:blush:

# 5 20-05-2007 , 02:10 AM
Thanks for the replies
acid44 - im gonna try and keep the lighting set that i made and try and change the colours user added image thanks for the tip

Heres the renders that i have done tonight, i tried out the lighting source from the window and added a cluster of lights for the interior, it seems to be ok, but theres a lot of shadows.

Im gonna try a night version next
All comments welcome
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 20-05-2007 , 02:11 AM
Heres another angle

# 7 20-05-2007 , 02:12 AM
forgot the pic sorry

Attached Thumbnails