Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-05-2013 , 07:16 PM

center pivot issue

This is a continuation, sort of, of another thread, but thought I'd start a separate item here. In aligning two high-poly meshes, I've located three common features in an overlapping region, placed sphere objects there just to see from further away as things align. Nulls 2a and 3a and the mesh-a are parented to null 1a. Null 1a is point constrained to snap to null1b, with its children on mesh-b. So, I've rotated and scaled null 1a until null 2a aligns with null 2b. The idea now is to create an axis between null 1a and 2a and rotate along that axis to swing 3a to align with null 3b, the final rotation to orient the two meshes. If I create a center pivot between 2a and 1a in that order, if it weren't for the parent relationship, that produces the axis of rotation I'm looking for, but the parenting of mesh-a and its nulls under 1a forces the center point to average among all parented objects. I've tried various permutations with primitives to devise a routine, nada. Any ideas? Thanks.

# 2 03-05-2013 , 07:32 PM
The thin red line
Create a group(select items to go into group then ctrl+g) with mesh1 and locator 2a and 1a then change the pivot of the group then use a aim constraint at 3b that should work...........dave

Last edited by daverave; 03-05-2013 at 07:39 PM.
# 3 03-05-2013 , 07:48 PM
The thin red line
You have tried the "snap 3 point to 3 point" tool.................dave

# 4 03-05-2013 , 08:47 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 5 04-05-2013 , 05:33 AM
crap maya has been broke for me for too damn long. I am starting to forget about tools I used. I used the snap align 2 to 2 and 3 to 3 all the time but totally forgot about those tools. lol

gg Dave

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 04-05-2013 , 09:43 PM
Just returning here, thanks, will look and try. In the meanwhile, I'm learning about a less manual approach, will have many of these to process in building out the cave, using matchmove to "create and modify survey constraints". That functionality within matchmove allows me to establish a common scale and coordinate system between the meshes. I still have to locate the 3 common points of reference (many more if scaling across the mesh isn't consistent, which fortunately it appears to be) in the overlapping region of two meshes, but from there it's fewer clicks. Big thanks for great tips.