Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 13-11-2005 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber

looking for a mel script on UV mapping

Hi there all,
I found this awsome turorial for Studio Max 5 that deals with UV unwrapping. However, the problem is the tutorial is for MAX, and also uses scripts for Max. My point in why I am posting in here is to talk about the script that the tutorial uses and to see if you ever herd of such a thing for Maya. In addition the other problem to this tutorial is that the person who is doing the video likes using DeepUV for its relax tool, though as for right now, I can't afford DeepUV.

So, talking about the script though, what awsome feature this script has is that it has the ability to show the UV connections. What this means is that after selecting such and such faces and you project them, and you are ready to sew them together, it shows which edges connects with the other edges by numbering all the edges. For example, say you planed projected the head into 5 peices: 1 plane for the front of the head, 1 plane for the right side of the head, 1 plane for the back of the head, 1 plane for the left side of the head, and 1 plane for the top of the head. Then, when you go to the UV Editior and turned on show UV connections, the edges would be assigned a number in which the numbers of the right side border of the front side of the head would match the numbers of the right side of the head border. You then would know which edges go with what makes it easier to sew them together.

Then the tutorial goes onto relaxing the UV's by using DeepUV. However, the reason why the person uses DeepUV is because if anybody ever used DeepUV before it has a better math calculation for relaxing the UV's then any other the 3D application. Trust me, it is 10 times better then even Maya's Uv relax tool. I seen it in action in the video tutorial.

So I was wondering that considering the script was made for MAX, and I can't afford DeepUV for relaxing the UV's, I was wondering if their is such a mel script that is free For Maya. Also I wouldn't mind if they have to be 2 scripts instead of one considering that what ever it may be, 1 mell script or 2, it would help me a lot when unwrapping the UV's.

Also some of the scripts I have already tried that don't do the 2 features that I am asking for were UVMaster, dannyUVTools, and also a plugin called GeoUV that doesn't work because I don't have Maya 6.5.

# 2 14-11-2005 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber
Hi there all,
I don't mean to be a pain but the reason why I am asking is because from the mel scripts that I have found, they don't give examples, or explain very well in what their script does. So I am asking you guys if you have found anything half that you like using and is half decent acoording to the 2 requirements that I am looking for.