Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-01-2018 , 11:19 PM
Chadlton

A question about Mapping in Maya

So, I've been working with normal maps and (GOD, DO I LOVE THEM) as they can help so much when you want to create a high poly look on a low poly model. But I am having trouble with one thing.... depth! They don't seem to capture depth. Whenever I create, say, a simple cube and then extrude it to have like outward bars on it's sides, the map comes out but the bars are flat, looking more like a 2D image then 3D.

So my question is, can you fix this in some setting on a normal map to capture depth detail? Or do I have to use something else like say a displacement map?

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help.

~CJK~

# 2 05-01-2018 , 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
Normal maps do not alter the geometry so yeah displacement is the way to go if you want something more than the illusion of depth.

- Genny