Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 12-07-2007 , 04:58 AM
hey tweetytunes - nice to see you back in the game - looks like a nice start on the body, though it kind of looks like you have a few extra loops at the moment....maybe. user added image

sorry to hear that you were feeling ill and not in the mood for touching maya - i know that feeling. I think it's always good to take a break - there's nothing worse than forcing yourself to work when you're not in the mood as it's likely that all you'll make is maya mush.

looking forward to seeing some updates! user added image

# 32 12-07-2007 , 08:52 AM
Subscriber
Onimusha \o/
Wicked games. I've not finished 2 yet and looking forward to play 3 at some point. One of my favourite actors did the voice for Samanosuke. Takeshi Kaneshiro the dude from The Returner and House of Flying Daggers. Add Jean Reno on top of that and it's got to be killer. Saw the CG intro movie for Onimusha 3 and flew backwards literally.

More on topic here. I'm liking the ninja. Awesome outfit and I think it was a good move to steer away from the Mortal Kombat/Sub-Zero look. You have a much better design now imho.

I hope you finish it as a whole character with feet and all one day perhaps beyond the scope of the challenge. So might as well do it now :p The crowd begs to see it finished, how's that for motivation? =)

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 33 12-07-2007 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
cheers you 2
Arren - its because I`m a quad nut - there is not one single triangle on that body - its how I like to start. everything flows and no tri`s. I find I need a few afterwards when I add details into the mesh but always try to start with as few as possible and in this case NONE :attn:

Onimusha 3 is the best but 4 is really good as well (2 was the weakest - num 1 was my first ever ps2 game - arr the memory's) - I was pissed they made a 4th but after playing it a bit I`m glad they did.

any way "the ninja" - its going to be hanging from the air and therefore I don`t think I`ll need them - may get back to them. Don`t forget I`m going to need to rig and texture 2 models by the deadline and build the background.

any way having some problems with the head as its looking a bit to old - any tips for getting the age down a bit as what ever I try it still looks like a grown man not a mid teenager.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/neils...a/ninja4_1.jpg

oh hes going to have on headphones so I don`t need to build ears (hence the black hole)

Last edited by tweetytunes; 12-07-2007 at 04:13 PM.
# 34 12-07-2007 , 04:44 PM
Subscriber
It's not easy and a topic I struggle with too at the moment. To make someone look in his teens. What I've found so far is you have to cheat a little and make belief.

In general (not in comparison with your model here):
Smaller features, nose, ears, throat. Not quite grown into a man yet if that helps. The face is smaller in proportion to the rest of the head. Back of the head sticks out more and neck is smaller. Corners of the mouth is a good landmark too as they have much more indention than on a grown person. It's also good to avoid the strong, angular, masculine chin (the superhero face).

The make belief comes from tricks such as making the nose point up a little, and the texture work, to make the skin look new hehe. Eyelashes are longer, eyebrows thinner.

Subtle stuff, and I think adding props and texture is what will help most to sell the age.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 12-07-2007 at 04:52 PM.
# 35 14-07-2007 , 02:40 AM
Subscriber
well I`m really going to have to pull out now.

The company was working for has gone bully up and I`m having to dart around trying to sort my life out and find a new job. arrrrrrrrrrr if any one knows of anything let me know plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

# 36 14-07-2007 , 02:55 AM
Thats really bad mate, hope you get something quick man.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 37 14-07-2007 , 03:13 AM
Sorry to hear than man, I hope you find something even better.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 38 14-07-2007 , 04:45 AM
ah! sorry to hear that mate - good luck sorting it out.

# 39 14-07-2007 , 04:26 PM
19 year Veteran
Sorry to hear that aswell, best of luck finding a job that you enjoy doing.

# 40 15-07-2007 , 03:18 AM
Subscriber
ahh definitely sorry to hear it, man.

Good luck with the new job hunt

# 41 15-07-2007 , 08:34 AM
Subscriber
cheers u guys. Thx for the kind words. Desperately trying to push my website partner to get a move on with his half of the site and getting some new images ready and a new show reel together. Found a few job listings and they will be my first port of call once I get it all together. I thought teaming up with my old flat mate to spread the cost of the site would be a good thing but man he`s taking forever

To be honest I`m getting very pissed about the whole situation.
My whole life is going out of control - I may lose my home over all this.
No warning what so ever and then a one phone call "BOOM" no job, after I spent the whole morning building a new last minute new character.
arrrrrrr.

But at least I have copy's of all the models (characters and backgrounds) which I`ll post up as soon as I get everything sorted.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 15-07-2007 at 08:40 AM.
# 42 15-07-2007 , 09:28 AM
Acid44
that sucks man i hope you can work it all out:hug:

# 43 15-07-2007 , 11:46 PM
The Maya Mountain
sorry to hear about your troubles, they definitely sound like big ones. I hope things work out for the best!

# 44 16-07-2007 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber
again thx for the kind words.

I thought i had all the models - turns out I have a lot of unfinished renders, play blasts and screen grabs.

Post some images over in the finished section of the forum if ya want to look at what I was doing.

But apart from that I think this thread can close.

Again cheers guysuser added image