Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-01-2005 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber

what you think of it so far??

started work on it today, have been working on it for few hours now and just wanted to get some feed back on it.

my plan is to finish with a guy in full body armour,

havent sarted work on the hands or lower body yet...
as i said i just want to hear what people think of it so far?
willman

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-01-2005 , 10:21 PM
Technical Director
Ah! Your putting those refrences to good use!

Anyway, the connection from the visor, to the protruding part on the top of the helmet, need to be harder. Use the partial crease option in the sub-d's menu set, or add 2 close lines to the original edge.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 17-01-2005 , 05:23 PM
you could also make the visor seperated from the helmet.

# 4 17-01-2005 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
cheers for the fast feed back, just got back from college, which was great fun.... or maybe not. so boring!!

will try to rework parts of the helmet and maybe start work on the fore arms and hands,
i will post my work soon as i can so you guys can see how its going

willman

# 5 17-01-2005 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
right, i think i have sorted the head out a little, tho i still have loads of detail i want to go back and add to it, as well as the body...
for the last hour or so ive been working on the arm/ hand, its far from finished but please tell me what you think of it so far...
WILLMAN

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 17-01-2005 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
and...

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 17-01-2005 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
last one for tonight...

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 18-01-2005 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber
Very nice model. I think the fingers look a little square though but maybe that is the look you are going for. Also the thumb nail looks as though it is on the wrong side. Anyway as I said you have a very nice model there, Keep it up.

Mat.

# 9 18-01-2005 , 01:55 PM
jep..really nice so far..I have the same problem with the finders..everything (fingers, knuckles) looks a bit like a cube. just play around a bit with the vertices..also:
the thumb is ordered in wrong direction..i think you would hate it if you had a thumb like this user added image

but apart from that..real nice model !

# 10 18-01-2005 , 04:20 PM
Subscriber
yeah, whoops, didnt notice the thumb last nite, will change that when i get a chance to...
thanks for the input guys, it all helps out loads!!!
willman

# 11 18-01-2005 , 08:29 PM
Subscriber
Good start. One thing on the thumb, don't forget to rotate slightly away from the other fingers. Assuming you're not a double-amputee, you should have some ready reference to look at for placement of the thumbs.

Something else struck me as odd... I would think that with all that body armor, that the model would have gloves/gauntlets on. That would let you drop out the fingernails.

Look forward to seeing it textured and rigged. Keep up the good work.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 12 18-01-2005 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
yeah, done a little work on changeing the hand around,
i got kinda carried away really with adding detailto the hands...
its the very first human model that im doing, and ive read loads that people find it hard to model the hands... so i just wanted to see what i could come up with, im quite pleased with the results so far... still have a little work to do on the thumb tho. what you think??
i think i mite end up giving him half a pair of gloves that end half way down his hand, not sure tho...
willman

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 18-01-2005 , 10:28 PM
Looks good overall just the thumb is to flat. Just hold your hand out and look at it. Theres a V between your fingers they arent straight parrallel to eachother. I think that would help it look better and the thumb needs to be a bit better.

The armor looks to soft too. Heres a picture of what it should be like.

Attached Images

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein
# 14 19-01-2005 , 05:36 AM
Subscriber
Pretty impressive for first try. The thumb does look better, but the comment on the "v"ing is good point. Also the natural positioning thumb is lower than the other fingers.

But enough about the thumb. When do you think you'll be ready to texture? That will make or break this model. It has great potentional.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 15 19-01-2005 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
thought that i mite change the style of head around a bit and make the visor so that you can see the face on the other side, i also had a little break from modeling to have a look at texturing but.... as you can see i have no idea what im doing really so any pointers would be great!!

anyways please tell me what you think of it so far
willman

Attached Thumbnails