Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 26-04-2007 , 04:29 AM

Weekly challenge

Would it be possible to start a weekly challenge?
I am still a beginner at Maya and found that the best way to progress is to actively participate in challenges. Monthly challenges are for more advanced users leaving the beginners behind.

The idea behind the challenge is as given:
On a Monday a topic is given.
Users have until the next Monday to submit their images.
During that week voting would take place using polls to decide a winner.
On Friday the winner will be announced.
On the next Monday the winner will announce the topic for the week.
The winner is not allowed to participate in the challenge for that week.
(Except for a non participating entry).

What is your opinions and how may of you would be interested?
Would an admin be able to setup and maintain such a challenge?

Laugh and the world laughs with you - Weep and you weep alone.

Visit my gallery at : https://www.vuurstorm.co.za
# 2 26-04-2007 , 05:21 AM
Personally I think that the monthly challenges are a great timescale, if your a beginner it gives you more time to make complete the challenge by solving the problems that you might have. In my mind if it was weekly then beginners would have less chance of completing it than a experienced user would, just because the more experienced user would be faster at doing the things allocated in the challenge.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 26-04-2007 , 05:26 AM
I agree that a month would give more time but the level of players on the monthly challenges is much higher which will demote a lot of beginners. The monthly challenges also puts a lot of focus on post modifications where the weekly challenge will not allow any post modifications like photoshop alterations.

# 4 26-04-2007 , 05:46 AM
Subscriber

Week to Strong?!? :P

Personally I wouldn't mind any time scale challenge...
But if I had too though I would do a month as I don't have
the spare time right now... but a weekly one would possibly bring in some more regular interaction between people... maybe...
I suppose it just depends what the challenge is and if it is do-able
part time within 1 week.

cheers

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 5 26-04-2007 , 07:30 AM
Senior Software Developer
I dont know about adding another challenge tbh, we have enough issues getting ppl to join in on the bi-monthly ones. If we were to add a new one I would say speed challenges. These are used on other sites and work well. Usually the topic is given and you get 1 hour to model to subject and the results posted. Also you can get extra time outside the challenge to textuire if required. I did this first on another site and learned a lot. Even though its only and hour the topics are really basic, like model a clock or compass or a dairy product...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 26-04-2007 , 09:25 AM
To all the newbies: Don't let being a newbie stop you from entering in the monthly challenges. I entered the last challenge with only 6 weeks experience. Even though I knew I wouldn't win, I knew I was going to learn. Just being able to finish my model was satisfaction enough. I learned tons in the process. And IT WAS REALLY FUN! I did see some past challenges where the newbies were judged separately (I think).

Eventually I won't be a newbie anymore (starting to feel that way now) and my skills will have improved giving me better chances to win.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 7 26-04-2007 , 01:18 PM
yeah - i definitely agree with perfecto. i entered my first challenge when I was still a newbie..still am i think... and the help that I got from the challenge was invaluable. Just working alongside other people who are doing similar projects is really helpful, as well as having others look at your work and offer advice. Don't worry about what other may think of your work - just stick to the deadline and make sure you finish and you will definitely improve.

# 8 26-04-2007 , 03:34 PM
Subscriber
I think if people want to start weekly or smaller challenges they could always do one in the other challenge forum (Battle arena or 1 on 1 forum) That way it wouldn't interfere with the monthly one. It's a good idea to have a shorter one for the more experienced people.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 9 26-04-2007 , 08:36 PM
hmmm ... okay Perfecto and arran, Maybe I should start having more faith in my skills and attemt a monthly challenge.

Where would I find the Maya monthly challenge ?

# 10 26-04-2007 , 09:51 PM
Lifetime Member
you can find the monthly challenge right here in the challenge Forum , but it has not been set yet although we are expecting a new one any day now.
Join the challenge we need a good laugh ,just kidding seriously you won't regret taking part and I think you will surprize yourself and we don't critisize to be nasty only to point stuff out and to be honest if you can't take a comment then this forum is not for you..hehe
People are really helpful so don't be scared user added image

# 11 27-04-2007 , 02:55 AM
Can't wait, I don't think I am all bad, I have been modeling in Blender for about a year and regarly participated in their weekend challenges. I only made like 3 images in Maya, but all from following tutorials, still learning my way around.

I hope that the Maya challenges are as much fun as the Blender challenges where.

# 12 27-04-2007 , 05:51 AM
AWESOME vuurstorm. Hope to see you there. My biggest Maya fear right now is a texturinig contest. But if it's on texturing, I'll still be there because it will force me to learn it. I'm sure leaning Maya after getting used to another program has it's own challenges as well. Good luck!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!