Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-06-2007 , 01:49 PM
Acid44

acid44 - summer challenge - ninja

hey im gonna join in this one and hopefully i can finish it

first thing though... could someone post a link to a good human referance site preferably free:bow: thanks

# 2 12-06-2007 , 02:21 PM
Subscriber
Ive got a bunch of criminal mugshot refs. If you want i can post a few up?

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 3 12-06-2007 , 02:38 PM
Acid44
do you have charles mansons mugs? if so could you post those?

also i need full body ref toouser added image :bow:

# 4 12-06-2007 , 08:11 PM
Acid44
started on the head... this is my first ever organic modeling let alone creature or human so try to be nice... i like it so faruser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 12-06-2007 , 09:48 PM
Acid,

Have a look in the topology thread in the WIP section, nailing good topology on your model will make it much easier to give the character some facial expressions, it takes a bit of work to place all the edge loops bit its well worth it in the end as you can get more detail out of a lower polycount due to the edges matching the flow of the facial muscles, turst me it will be worth it in the end.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 13-06-2007 , 02:11 AM
Hi acid44,
If this is your first, I'm impressed that you at least got a decent looking shape. The nose, mouth, eyes, etc. How did you know how to shape those, etc, do you have a tutorial? I'm asking because I've done one human cartoon character and it was reaaaaaaaalllly difficult for me. Are you using box modeling method or nurbs to subd or the spline method?

Just curious.

gster123: Thanks for the reply about the topology thread. I'll refer to it as well.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 7 13-06-2007 , 06:05 AM
Yeah that looks really good for a first. My first attempt att making a human actually ended up looking like a monster. user added image

# 8 13-06-2007 , 11:39 AM
Acid44
lol thanks guys

i did it by making a 6x6 point polly plane and then itas all edge extrusions and moving points, same way i did my skyline

# 9 13-06-2007 , 02:16 PM
Acid44

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 13-06-2007 , 05:33 PM
Acid44
ears will be covered by headband so dont worry abuot those...

UPDATE!

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 13-06-2007 , 05:35 PM
Acid44
also forgot to mention.... hes gettin a beard and maybe a mustache tommorow:p

# 12 14-06-2007 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber
before you get too far, I'd suggest you restart with proper edgeloops as gster said. Perhaps it's never been explained to you before but the edgeloop philosophy has caught on because it makes for easy animation and by its nature easily implies the proper form.

as it stands you'll always have those creases in your model which is less than ideal.

# 13 18-06-2007 , 03:15 AM
Any new updates acid44? Don't get dissappointed (not that you are) if you're having a hard time with this project or having to redo anything. I don't know how to do character modeling so I'm sure I'll have my share of redo's too, hehe. I do hope you finish though because I like your idea and the shape of your face and head was good I thought.

Cheers mate!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!