Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-09-2007 , 01:06 AM

what tutorial should I start with?

Hi, I just joined the forum.
I'm absolutely new to 3d world, I've downloaded the maya 8.5 PLE and I'd like to know what video tutorial I should start with, considering that I don't even know the Maya interface (quite frankly I don't know nothing about 3d graphics...)

I've tried to follow the maya tutorials that come with the program, but I think there's something wrong with them cause the program doesn't really do what the instructions say...

It would be better for me to start from a video tutorial.

Thanks in advance!

PS I apologize for my very bad English but I'm not a native English speaker.

# 2 19-09-2007 , 01:09 AM
Lifetime Member
If you are that new I would definately start with the video tutorials that come with Maya ( what do mean they don't do what the tutorials say ?), followed by hitting F1 and working your way through the help file tutorials.
This will give you a basic understanding og the UI and tool then you could download any of the free turorials available here ,starting with the ones that are marked for begginners.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 19-09-2007 , 01:25 AM
What video tutorials are you speaking about?
If you mean the 6 o 7 ones the pop up when you open maya I've already done them, I meant the tutorials that you can follow in a html page (the one that shows how to create a temple, for istance). Now I don't remember very well, but at the beginning the tutorial says to deactivate the option that lets you drag and drop to create an object, then it says to go to the menu and create a cylinder just by clicking the create it and a window with some options is supposed to pop up... but this windows just does not appear and I don't really have a clue on how to make the setup that the tutorial explains later user added image

# 4 19-09-2007 , 01:28 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok if you have deactivated the drag option for creating primitives then to get the option box (the new window ) you have to click on the little box to the right of the primitive in the create menu.You can also find the same options after the primitive is created if you look in the channel box(to the right of the modeling screen) and under inputs click on the polyshape node ie. if you create a cube click on the polyCube1 lettering and the same options will appear and you can enter values there to change the shape of the object.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 19-09-2007 at 02:30 AM.
# 5 19-09-2007 , 02:14 AM
Thanks!!

I'm gonna try as soon as I go home!! user added image

Just arrived... tryed.....it works .... GREAT user added image
Thanks again!

Last edited by ZioRiP; 19-09-2007 at 03:07 AM.
# 6 19-09-2007 , 05:08 AM
Subscriber

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 7 19-09-2007 , 05:10 AM
wow, it looks pretty cool!!
Thanks for the hint!!! user added image

# 8 19-09-2007 , 08:21 AM
Hey guys, probably you don't care so much about my progress, but today I've almost done the temple (I didn't spend all of my few time on it) and I'm pretty satisfied!!

Thank you again for the support, I was really sure the instructions were wrong, I can't believe I've been so silly not to understand the meaning of that square at the end of the path in the instructions....
GOOD!!

Just one last thing:

Hey mr pix. I saw your animations... You are just a master!!
How long did you take to reach such a realistic quality of movements?
They are outstanding!

Cheers