Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-06-2004 , 04:04 AM

my mech

Hey...I did this while in school(HS)...just taught myself the basics of Rhino...as of now I am trying to figure out how to take the file and convert it into Maya...but just wanted to share :o

Attached Images
# 2 07-06-2004 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber
V. Nice work, nice crisp lines, C of G looks good, very well modeled

Just a minor point user added image , i would model a pair of stonking great big hydraulic rams for both the legs below the knee, it just looks like it wants to fall over (or are they modeled at the back can't see)

(writtting that seemed a bit petty)

Still think its REAL good though & thanks for sharing...

M

MURPH
# 3 07-06-2004 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber
hehe looks nice!...going to model, texture, animate further in maya ?

# 4 07-06-2004 , 07:34 PM
Actually Murph I have a pair of wee little rams on the back of the legs...I was thinking about doing rams on the front...

ransick:

I really want to progress it through Maya...if I can figure out how to turn the Rhino file into a Maya file...

plus I need to learn how to texture

I get out of school in 3 days so I need to figure out how to get that big ole file off the school puter and stick it at home... user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 07-06-2004 , 07:39 PM
There are the lil rams in the back...

I wish I actually had been taught how to use Rhino and Maya...only been tinkering with both for the past month or two...that would of made it a easier...

***EDIT***
FYI if you look at the center torso(rotating part)...it is colliding with the back of the gattling gun on the chest...I have already fixed that....I saw them touching and realized I forgot to move back the bottom part of the hip/torso...so it's all fixed user added image

***EDIT***
The mech is suppost to be belt fed from the 2 giant ammo boxes on it's back...but to my knowledge it is impossible to model a curved ammo belt in Rhino...I tried atleast 200 times... user added image

# 6 07-06-2004 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by painterdan
There are the lil rams in the back...
but to my knowledge it is impossible to model a curved ammo belt in Rhino...I tried atleast 200 times... user added image

what i know about Rhino - you could write on the back of a stamp, but can you "duplicate transform?"

cheers M

MURPH
# 7 07-06-2004 , 07:59 PM
I have no clue what you just said????

*confused*

I've only been playing around with the program for afew weeks, 5-10minutes per schoolday if im done with my Acad projects *blushes*

# 8 07-06-2004 , 10:15 PM
Subscriber
hey dude,
in maya 5.0, if you group an object/s and then goto "edit" - "duplicate transform" the object will be duplicated, move/rotate the duplicated object,
hit Duplicate transform again (or the key "g") & the NEXT duplicated object will be the exact distance or rotation as the first object, you can use this for things like wheel nuts, if you divide 360 degrees into the amount of wheel nuts you want, move it, then dup-trans form, &, as long as your pivot point is the centre of the wheel you will get a pefect rotation everytime, of equal degrees. like on my model of the car.

If you want a quick tut, i'll knock one up for you.

cheers M - (clear as mud? )

MURPH
# 9 09-06-2004 , 05:14 PM
Ahhh see I didn't know that Murph...I get what you're talking about though...thanks man...

Im in class right now looking around on rhino and cant see anything...typed in duplicate and transform and duplicate transform in the command box and all unknown commands...