Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-04-2008 , 10:54 PM

how i make the holes

hello
i have a question pls...
i try to make one monitor, and i am new in maya, i now the basics...but i dont now much...i try to make the holes in the back of the monitor, and i do not want to use cut polygon tool to cut these holes, i wonder if is a much easy way to make those holes???
thank you very much
this is the picture with that holes....

Attached Images
# 2 17-04-2008 , 10:59 PM
this is another picture

Attached Images
# 3 18-04-2008 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
Use the boolean tool would be easiest, you can make thin cubes that match the shape of the slits and then it will cut them out of the geometry. Give it a check in the help files as I can't remember the different options it offers.

Chris

# 4 18-04-2008 , 02:12 AM
i'd recommend staying away from booleans - sorry chris - i actually think drawing out the shape with the split polygon tool and then deleting faces would be easier.

i find booleans are usually a headache, plus they leave you with weird geometry - unless of course they've changed since maya 7. user added image

# 5 18-04-2008 , 06:44 AM
Subscriber
Booleans are fine so long as you don't ever want to do anything advanced with them.
Mental Ray can have problems with them, I know maxwell doesn't like them.
You are much better off as Arran says to draw them out and create the geometry itself.

Booleans are nothing but a hassle in the end.
I've checked in 8, 8.5 and 2008 to see if they've improved and unfortunately not.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”