Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-01-2004 , 10:32 PM

System Requirements

I just loaded the Demo version of Maya 5 on my old Windows based system. I am looking to get something new with dual 17" monitors. Is there an opitmum graphics card for use with Maya?

# 2 29-01-2004 , 09:30 AM
Subscriber
Allow me to refer you to the official qualification list.

Hardware Qualification for Maya 5.0

There are many good cards but if you are looking for the point of diminishing returns in terms of cost vs. performance, I am not sure. I happen to believe that it's with the entry-mid level professional cards such as you'll find in the NVidia QuadroFX, Quadro4, and ATI Fire range. There are many reviews of these cards on various websites (avoid TomsHardware).

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 3 30-01-2004 , 05:28 PM
Thanks for the info and the link Huxley.

dkelly, from what I've been reading about some of the NVidia Quadro cards, I would suggest staying away from them and going with an ATI card if anything. I run a Radeon 7200 and have never had any serious problems.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 4 30-01-2004 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
Dave: Stay away from Quadros? Are you MAD???? user added image I have a 980XGL that runs Maya like a dream.

Are you sure you're not thinking of GeForce-FX cards (one of which I also own) which do have a minor-yet-annoying problem with viewport refreshes?

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 5 03-02-2004 , 08:32 PM
I have a wildcat, and it uses the harware render well!

Lungs not guns....
# 6 06-02-2004 , 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Maya Just blew up the old system and its time to bite the bullet. A visit to the Dell website and a second mortgage are in order.