Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-03-2006 , 09:02 PM

What would you do to get a job in CG industry?

What would you do to get a job in CG industry?

the job I´m very likely to get is in another state. not too damn far away but, you know.. I´m forced to decide between job and my girl. as she is not willing to move with me (of course) there would be very few time left to spend together. after she was crying for a week she accepted the circumstances but now had a breakdown - which leads us to this situation. she or the job.

I quit my old job 9 months ago to live from hardly anything and learn. it´s quite a challenge to afford the money for food every month. she was moaning then, so I left our shared flat and got me a own one. I have put all my energy to get good in maya, too learning zBrush and 3dsMAX. now comes the chance to earn money for working with maya (it´s not that big money). but hey, I really love her...I´m just ripped.

life sucks serious donkey ass sometimes!

what would you do to get a job in CG industry? or otherwise - what have you done to get a job?

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 2 03-03-2006 , 04:59 AM
i would like to know the answer to this also.im new to maya but im fascinated with it.its addictive

# 3 03-03-2006 , 05:04 AM
how long have you been useing maya falott?where did you start in maya?im starting with the cartoon dog.im on part 3.any tips on what to do next to get better at maya?

# 4 03-03-2006 , 08:23 AM
Subscriber
its all practice lots n lots of it. once u ve done the dog ull have a better grasp on what is what. then start going round ure house picking up objects and modelling them everything u can find this is much easier as u have it in front of u start looking at ure objects and see how much is made from primitive shapes with little tweaks here n there. this should get u on the right track.

# 5 03-03-2006 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber
i say go for the job if your girl friend really loves you she'll understand if not there are plenty more girls out there

# 6 03-03-2006 , 03:52 PM
ok thanks magicsy:p

# 7 03-03-2006 , 07:52 PM
frank, I´ve read bout a zillion of tutorials from the net. but most effective medium is DVD. I started with the free section here, bought some points and got me Kurt´s "Organic Modeling I" DVD. get as much video tutorials as you can afford! whatever you are interested in -> watch out for a tutorial. best places for tut´s - start here, don´t miss mike´s side (https://www.mtmckinley.net/) and have a look at Gnomon. Alex Alvarez really rocks and pushed my skills the most in my first year with maya. if you are interessted in organic/human modeling like me -> stick to Tareq Mirza (bought his DVD "Organic Modeling I - Human Anatomy") - you won´t find any better material for modeling a human figure, except the godfather of CGAnatomy - Steven Stahlberg. and I can tell "GI Modelling" from Jason Edwards is a great tut for sure. alltho I´ve not seen it by now, if it is even half as good as his advises to me from past it is twice worth the money.

if you want to work your way through all aspects of maya - start with modeling (in polygons), cause that´s a fundamental thing.

I started learning maya in september 2004.

jali, well, this is what I´d tell someone else - it is funtamental philosophy. but in reality life is not that easy... or is it? I don´t know

# 8 03-03-2006 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
yea i got Jay's Gi tut and its spot on!!

# 9 04-03-2006 , 05:16 PM
dude if u truly love the girl then theres no way u would consider a job over her, but if u r considering the job then maby u should ask yerself if u really do love her. I mean a job is gonna get u cash but cash dont make u happy, the girl will make u happy.

# 10 05-03-2006 , 09:58 PM

Originally posted by jhubbard
dude if u truly love the girl then theres no way u would consider a job over her, but if u r considering the job then maby u should ask yerself if u really do love her. I mean a job is gonna get u cash but cash dont make u happy, the girl will make u happy.

Its all about the money, its all about dam dam diriirri dam...

Come on dude, you can always do pizza delivery and in the end of the day she's waiting for you...and then you broke up with her and the only thing that has left is pizza.

Simple, if you love her and she does the same than....u know

# 11 06-03-2006 , 12:49 AM
this is what I needed to hear! thx pal, allready thought I´m a heartless prick..

# 12 06-03-2006 , 08:38 AM
Subscriber
I've been dumped and given some lame reason enough times that I'd say go for the job... But that's just me, heartless and hatefull user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 13 11-03-2006 , 09:40 AM
Subscriber
balancing the bank book, the future or the heart?? No-one's advice will help you my friend, sounds like your looking for support to split. You want to do it, do it! Job done! Toss a coin and if you feel bad at the outcome, you know where your heart stands.

don't bothered being too sentimental, it's a lonely world. Are you scared to be alone or do you really want to be with this girl, ask yourself that. You might arrive at the job and hate it, wheels within wheels, changes happen within changes, know one knows the outcome, no matter how clever.

she is being practical, women are good at that, they need to feel supported. what are you doing..??:headbang: user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 14 11-03-2006 , 06:02 PM
The Maya Mountain
The main thing I did to get a job was make a website portfolio. I didn't make a reel or anything, or at least, i didn't make any more after I sent off all the ones I had! lol

That and just keep applying and be willing to relocate. And be a good artist, of course. user added image

# 15 12-03-2006 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
..., and we're all still waiting for your web site update...:shakehead user added image

take it easy and life will be easy