Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 07-02-2006 , 05:36 PM

Advice for building a Handbag/pocketbook?

Newbie, here. But I've done turorials and read A LOT of the manual. I actually got the program so I could ultimately be able to do animation, etc. (filmmaker) but the more time-sensitive reason waas to render 3D images and animations of my wife's handbag designs. Need to start getting this together. So...

Seems like the NURBs are the good choice, or subdivs, and then convert to Polys? Tried the Cylinder Subdiv, and it's a possibility. Not sure. They'll be leather and semi-hard, semi-soft. You know...a handbag. Need to make the inside and outside in ithe same structure, which means an emptied-out structure. Would like to show the thickness of the material. (Even stitches when I get to that point.)

Any pointers as to which primitives, and under which geometric family, would be wonderful.

I guess I'll attach a pic or two to show that I've started to do my homework, here.

Thanks so very, very much.

Attached Files
File Type: mb handbag_1_360_a.mb (219.9 KB, 147 views)

karmafilm
# 2 07-02-2006 , 05:39 PM

Here's one more shot

this is a quickie with the SubDiv Cylinder I was talking about. Ultimately, I need to make this like a real handbag. But hey, isn't that always the goal. Reality.

Attached Files
File Type: mb subdivisional.mb (142.4 KB, 151 views)

karmafilm
# 3 25-04-2006 , 11:53 AM
Senior Software Developer
My tip for this would be to look at the object(s) your going to model (in reallife or ref images) and try to break it down and view it as a 3D model. This type of observation (I found) very handy to be able to visualise what I wanted to model, especially non organic objects.

The approach to NURBS or POLYS would need to be your judgement call. I would do polys and convert to subD from that, other ppl would say NURBS, its really a personal preference.

Beyond that the appraoch is your own as there is no hard and fast rules on how to model a particular item.

As for the details this should be left to bump/displacement maps and textures. You don't want to over complicate your model. A good thing to rememer is...

"If you can't see it don't model it"

To make the item look thick add edges wher requred to give the idea of thickness.

Hope this helps.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 25-04-2006 , 05:59 PM
Thanks for the time and advice. Cross yourfingers.

karmafilm
# 5 14-05-2006 , 07:28 AM
post a pic of one of the handbags and Ill help you out