Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-04-2007 , 04:52 AM

drill a wooden block?

is it possible to create a wooden table and a drill so that drill could substract or sth,modify the table?

maybe should i make a mel script?

or it's impossible and to cut a surface and see that it's filled inside i have to make two different models and animate between them?

# 2 14-04-2007 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
a table and a table thats been cut ARE two different models technically.

pretty ambitious stuff. But if know how to write a mel script it shouldn't be too hard.

a mel script like that, and alias will probably want you on board user added image

basically I think the answer is no, not on 'the same' model.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 14-04-2007 , 03:45 PM
read up on booleans, i believe you can just make a cylinder and boolean the table so it has a cylindrical hole, and just animate the cylinder. then put the drill in place :-D

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 14-04-2007 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber
i think he means in real time and at random.., maybe Im wrong (it was graduation day and im hung over) i imagined a drill boaring into wood, probably because thats how my head feels.

animate the cylinder, you mean the hole or the drill?? , can you do that with a boolean (animate it after te event).., I thought it was part of the object after the operation unless theres some trick with history?? maybe Ill go back to bed...

# 5 14-04-2007 , 04:39 PM
Mirek,
yeah, the object that you boolean into the other object still exists, and you can animate it however you like

www.joopson.com
# 6 14-04-2007 , 08:15 PM
yea as long as you don't delete the history after performing the boolean, you still have both operands... so moving the cylinder will change where the subtraction takes place - and you can animate the cylinder as you would regularly... rotate, scale, and translate.

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 14-04-2007 , 11:44 PM

thanks

thanks guys...well,now i know that there is a chance to do it,however i'm going to learn maya advanced technics during summer break.i'm going to create a 3d models of human mouth and teeth for orthodontics and conservative treatment /drilling and filling teeth/.

take a look at this videos of Chairside.
https://www.consult-pro.com/general%2...dexgeneral.php

i want to create my own animations and model because there is not enough details in this software.

# 8 16-04-2007 , 11:27 PM
Yeah, Joopson is correct, just make sure that you don't delete the history on the two items and you can change the figuration however you like whilst animating them.

Trainee Solicitor believe it or not

Portfolio - Click Here
# 9 17-04-2007 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber
i ve gotta start jogging or something, I thought he was trying to morph an image somehow.., dont know where I got that one user added image

# 10 17-04-2007 , 02:23 PM
Subscriber
"yeah, the object that you boolean into the other object still exists, and you can animate it however you like"

ey joop, wheres about would it be if you wanted to grab it? do you just go into history etc?(sorry i had to ask, not on home computer so cannot try)

marlon

# 11 18-04-2007 , 02:10 AM
well, you can press the down button until the manipulator is on it..... or you can go into the outliner and select it.

www.joopson.com
# 12 19-04-2007 , 01:21 PM
hypergraph is still my choice.

Accept no substitutions.
# 13 20-04-2007 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
"well, you can press the down button until the manipulator is on it..... or you can go into the outliner and select it."

cool joop it worked, thanks user added image