Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 21-05-2007 , 12:04 PM

nCloth V's classic cloth

G'day all

I finally upgraded to Maya8.5 with the new nCloth system. However, when I open my older (maya7) scenes with cloth in them, the cloth is no longer there user added image

Is there any way I can still open my classic cloth scenes with 8.5?

Cheers,
Dave.

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 2 21-05-2007 , 12:18 PM
Hey mate, Hows tricks?

I thought that it would just open them straight away, as clasic cloth is still part of the toolset, have you got cloth loaded in the plug in manager? Thats the only thing that i could suggest???

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 21-05-2007 , 01:56 PM
Senior Software Developer
Sorry tiddles,

To use the old Maya cloth you need another licence. Maya Cloth comes with the unlimited versions on Maya, but has now been superseided with nCloth.

There should be 2 licence files needed for the FLexLM Licence Server, the aw.dat file and the awcloth.dat, without the cloth one the old cloth stuff will not work. The plugin will be listed, but if you try to load it, it will fail.

Bad news I know, but nCloth is far superior to cloth in almost everyway. If you have every seen or used Syflex, then it will give you a clue as to how nCloth works. Its very similar in a lot of ways, but superior in others...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 21-05-2007 , 02:54 PM
Thats a bugger user added image

I guess it's now time to rebuild these scenes bigger & better user added image

thanks for the quick responce guys - much appreciated!!

Dave.

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 5 21-05-2007 , 04:32 PM
Thanks everyone!
I also was wondering about cloth. I checked out the nCloth before and didn't have any issues but I wasn't able to use the classic cloth. I did try loading the plug-in but as you said R@SiD, it failed and said I didn't have the liscense. Thanks for the explanation because until now, I was thinking that it got left out during the install or something.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!