Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-01-2013 , 11:41 PM
Maya Animation Newb

Rigging error on a long-necked creature...

Hey All,

Sorry for posting this here, wasn't sure if this belonged in the newbies forum or here, so here goes!

I've been rigging a four-legged creature (a toony dragon) as my first character rig in Maya. I've used Blender before so I know a little bit of the basics... But I'm trying to use some advanced rigging as shown in a Digital Tutors rigging tutorial (for a female human skeleton). I've done up to the part where he uses the IK Spline Handle Tool do to the character's spine, I did the dragon's tail this way, with constraint objects with no problem.

I went to do the neck however, and the IK (and constraints and all) are freaking out. Every time I try to move it, it jitters around the path and when I undo it, it comes up with the error "warning: cycle on neck_base.matrix may not evaluate as expected. (use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.)"

I've searched here and elsewhere for similar problems but so far nothing's worked (i've deleted history and tried to find/delete a preference file, but as I am working in 2013, nothing seemed to work).

What could I be doing wrong here? I can post screenshots if that helps... Thank you all!!!

(and this morning i somehow accidentally unbound the rig from the skeleton with all the weights painted on and such.... I took it as a sign I should rerig it, but needless to say I've been having a pretty frustrating day with Maya!)

# 2 24-01-2013 , 12:33 AM
Maya Animation Newb
I've attached some screenshots of what I mean here - the tail, back, and neck area all have IK Spline Handles on them, but in the example, I move the back cluster and the neck jitters around wildly, but everything else - tail, legs, etc. seem to act normal.

Even when I undo moving anything (including the back or other chains), the neck will stay in an awkward position instead of going back to its starting position. I have to use "Assume Preferred Angle" for it to go back to normal.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this without having to redo my neck and constraints?

Also, the error is shown in the error window thingy on the 2 - 4 images.

Thank you!!

Attached Thumbnails