Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-04-2009 , 09:45 PM

glossy floor

I need some help with making a glossy floor. i'm trying to create a material that mimics a waxed linoleum or tile floor. i cant seem to get it right. i have tried many different shaders, ranging from blinn to MIA_material. any help in the setup would be appreciated.
heres an image for reference
user added image

# 2 12-04-2009 , 11:47 PM
look into the mia_material its a mental ray shader with presets including wood ie. wooden floor boards just like these. You will need to tweak a little like the reflectivity and you will also need an environment for it to reflect.
hope this helps

# 3 13-04-2009 , 07:40 PM
I tried the Mia_material before, and i just tried again. i got a reflection, but you can't see the tile or wood floor. could i do a glossy surface on top of my floor mesh? i would really like to avoid that type of solution.

# 4 13-04-2009 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber
can't you break up reflections by adding bump mapping?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 13-04-2009 , 09:30 PM
you can, but i don't want to. i want normal reflections but i want to see my texture under it. when i render i get an over-reflected environment on my floors surface. it might be because i'm only using an hdri image as my environ.

# 6 13-04-2009 , 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
I think you may need to tweak the reflection properties on the mia_mat, try changing the BDRF settings or even try a fresnel reflection.

- Genny