Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-05-2009 , 04:55 AM

mouse not grabbing correct rotation direction O.o

Okay hey guys

I was planning to enter into the spaceship competition however I've been having lots of problems with the rotate tool. I've done a search in the forum but couldn't find anyone else with this problem so lets hope i didn't double post :S

Anyway I used to have Maya 2008 when I first had this problem and have since reformatted a couple of times and now am running Maya 2009.

When I grab an object and switch to the rotate tool for some reason when I try to grab a rotation direction it will grab some other random one, i'll be sitting there trying to grab the clear Z rotation and it'll keep grabbing the X until I rotate the perspective around and then it'll make it easier to grab. Usually i'll have to rotate the perspective a few times until it lets me grab a hold of it.

I have since reformatted my computer a couple of times and have now install maya 2009 with the same problem.....this has become extremely frustrating as it turns a simple rotation into a 5 min process :S

I'm also running Vista 64bit however I'm dual booting with XP 32 bit so might install it on there and see whether it's Vista's fault which is strange because it used to work fine until it suddenly screwed up.

I've tried using my old standard Microsoft mouse as atm I have a Logitech G9 but had the same problem....

Hopefully someone can help me with this as I'm starting to get pretty fed up of precision perspective positioning just to grab the right rotation handle :S

thanks guys

JSSpecial

Nobody's Perfect and i'm Nobody
# 2 12-05-2009 , 03:12 PM
Okay.....i've just installed Maya 2009 onto my XP boot and hey presto the rotation is working perfectly.

Seems like Vista 64 bit must be having a little problem with Maya well i guess i'm lucky i'm able to dual boot and get it working....too bad my XP isn't 64 bit tho :S

Nobody's Perfect and i'm Nobody
# 3 12-05-2009 , 08:16 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Vista sucks and apparently microsoft think so too i heared they wanted to bring windows 7 on the market before the end of the year.
Your glitch could have something to do with aero or useraccount control

# 4 14-05-2009 , 04:51 PM
wow, I've been looking all around the net for a solution, I have the same problem, it's driving me mad... I have Maya 2008 and I installed windows XP 32bit with service pack 2.

It seems like Maya wants to automatically select the closest rotation angle according to the viewport... Also, if I want to deselect the manipulator by clicking in an empty space, I have to go very far from the manipulator when I have rotation tool selected....

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling Maya, but I fear it won't help....

# 5 14-05-2009 , 08:05 PM
Well I reinstalled it and it doesn't work... If anyone could help, that would be great !

# 6 20-05-2009 , 11:13 AM
it's an ATI bug. killing me. still looking for a solution.

If I knew what I was doing, I'd be sane right now.
# 7 22-05-2009 , 10:18 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Could also be that you haven't got the correct driverset for Ati
https://download.autodesk.com/us/qual...aphics_win.pdf

throw away your prefs , see if that helps.

I used to have an ATI card and i had problems with it, but usually after a restart i could see my gizmo's again.

In the chart you can also see if your card is supported, so you can rule out register stuff etc