Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-06-2009 , 10:07 AM

What is the best way to achieve Final Fantasy like hair?

What is the best method, modeling? Maya Hair?

Keeping in mind, it's going to be animated.

# 2 15-06-2009 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber
are you going for the full prerendered hair in the games, the hair that interacts with each other from the spirits within movie, or one of the realtime styles?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 15-06-2009 , 11:53 AM
The Advent Children Style?
And possibly the game styles.

Or if you don't mind you can give us a run down of them all, if you want to. user added image

Last edited by Buster Sword; 15-06-2009 at 11:56 AM.
# 4 15-06-2009 , 03:30 PM
Technical Director
There are many different ways.

In the Final Fantasy games, they use polygonal meshes with transparency maps on them. If the hair is long, then usually some joints are added, and are animated by hand.

In the pre-rendered and movies, they also use polygonal meshes, but drive the shape by either cloth simulation, or through dynamic curves.

I use Shave and a Haircut. It looks pretty, but I find it kind of challenging to create styles with it that keep their shape when using dynamics.

So. You're left with a few options.
1) Model the hair, and use joints for the movement.
2) Model the hair, then use cloth simulation or dynamic curves
3) Use a hair solution

I think the one with the most control, would be the first option. However, animating hair can be time consuming. If you're good with simulations, you should go with the second option. If you're doing a still, or your character has short hair, use option three.

Good luck! user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 15-06-2009 at 03:33 PM.
# 5 15-06-2009 , 08:12 PM

Originally posted by NextDesign
There are many different ways.

In the Final Fantasy games, they use polygonal meshes with transparency maps on them. If the hair is long, then usually some joints are added, and are animated by hand.

In the pre-rendered and movies, they also use polygonal meshes, but drive the shape by either cloth simulation, or through dynamic curves.

I use Shave and a Haircut. It looks pretty, but I find it kind of challenging to create styles with it that keep their shape when using dynamics.

So. You're left with a few options.
1) Model the hair, and use joints for the movement.
2) Model the hair, then use cloth simulation or dynamic curves
3) Use a hair solution

I think the one with the most control, would be the first option. However, animating hair can be time consuming. If you're good with simulations, you should go with the second option. If you're doing a still, or your character has short hair, use option three.

Good luck! user added image

Thanks for that, it's given me a better insight, what would be best to model the hair with, NURBS curves, and convert to polys or just leave it as NURBS....?

# 6 15-06-2009 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
from what i've experienced, if you want to move your hair with joints then you're best to convert it to polygons, because joints didn't seem to like NURBS last time i tried...

if you look at the hair in FF10 then you'll see it's polygons with texture maps (at least that's what it looks like to me)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 15-06-2009 , 11:13 PM
So if I'm using joints, NURBS to poly?

What about simulations?

And thanks for responding user added image

# 8 27-06-2009 , 02:49 AM
Technical Director
Simulations are computationally expensive, and hard to work with. I recommend animating it by hand.

And yes, you can convert the nurbs strands to polys, and then bind the polys to the joints.

# 9 27-06-2009 , 07:06 AM

Originally posted by NextDesign
Simulations are computationally expensive, and hard to work with. I recommend animating it by hand.

And yes, you can convert the nurbs strands to polys, and then bind the polys to the joints.

I suppose yeah, 'cause the animation isn't exactly going to be feature length (Although SE did animate Sephiroth's hair by hand)

I think I might not use planes though, I might actually make the hair strands 3Dimensional (I know, crazy, but oh well). Like draw the curves, loft them and stuff, but when they're polys, extrude or something, haven't decided yet. But thanks again dude.

I can't believe I forgot SE DO actually use Poly's for hair, I was reading through my Reunion Files again and saw this picture, I cba uploading it, so I just found the same scan on the net. https://blenderartists.org/forum/atta...6&d=1225235262

# 10 27-06-2009 , 06:16 PM
Technical Director
Yup, that's the way they did it in Advent Children.