Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-11-2009 , 11:29 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net

Shading Help

So I was working in proxy mode trying to make the bear Moog from Open Season when it stopped letting me put it in shaded mode, it looks like its always in x-ray but I checked and re checked and its not x-ray shaded and I cant figure it out, here is a screeney.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-11-2009 , 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Assign the lambert1 shader to it.

- Genny
# 3 25-11-2009 , 04:40 AM
ima try it when in the next hour or so, im going to be a little upset with my self if it's that simple. Will let you know how lame i feel after i do it

# 4 25-11-2009 , 05:45 AM
Technical Director
When you use smooth proxy, it automatically assigns a transparent material to the object. The point of this, is so that you can view the low resolution geometry, as well as the high resolution.

If you're using 2009 or 2010, you can select your low poly, and use the short cuts 1, 2, and 3 to do roughly the same thing.

1 - Low poly only
2 - Low poly cage with high poly
3 - High poly

Hope this helps.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 25-11-2009 , 08:10 PM
I use Maya 8 so im not sure what the hot keys for that are, 1 2 and 3 are smoothers for nurbs i believe. I will have to look around and see if I find something for those, thanks I didnt know that doing proxy mode gave it a transparency.

As for GecT thanks i ended up just changing the transparency for it, figured that was a little easier then giving it a new material.

Last edited by Ozgalis; 25-11-2009 at 08:23 PM.
# 6 25-11-2009 , 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Ozgalis
I use Maya 8 so im not sure what the hot keys for that are, 1 2 and 3 are smoothers for nurbs i believe. I will have to look around and see if I find something for those, thanks I didnt know that doing proxy mode gave it a transparency.

As for GecT thanks i ended up just changing the transparency for it, figured that was a little easier then giving it a new material.

I don't believe the 1,2,3 hotkeys for smoothing work on polys in 8.0. And the "Lambert1" wouldn't really be a new material, it's actually the default material. Right click object>Assign Existing material>lambert1. Instead of having to fiddle with two shaders that look the same.

- Genny
# 7 26-11-2009 , 03:43 AM
Technical Director
No, the short cuts on polygons were implemented in 2008 I believe.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.