Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 19-01-2004 , 09:39 AM
yeah I'm aware of the reflection thing, it's coming. As for an aeroplane or birds I'm not really that worried about that sort of stuff. I may add something at a later date but that's not my focus for now user added image

I've been working on the scenery masks and doing smoe more texturing/modelling for some little details. I'll post it at lunchtime

thanks
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 47 19-01-2004 , 11:19 AM
Subscriber
Great work as usual. I really like how the tank turned out.

Last pic, hear are a couple of ideas to get it more composite in good.

The shadow under the tank I think would look better if it got darker the farther under the tank it was. also the closer the tracks get to the pavement, not to much on this though. That would make it a bit more GI like than the flat shadow.. witch looks more like a single point indoor light.

maybe the color on the tank is a little 2 even. you might see some added benefit from faking just a little HDRI affect.. like place a VERY low intensity red light over buy where the red building is.. maybe a little blue closer to the cam. etc..

Might try just a little lighter on the tank over all. With the over all value as it is.. it appears to get sucked back in the picture a little more than where it should be according to spatial relationship... that could be adding to the problem of some CG look.

just my humble suggestions.

# 48 19-01-2004 , 11:32 AM
no that's some great suggestions pony, the lights are definatley a good idea (although I have the scene at work with me so I am actually gonna do some full on HDRI stuff with renderman) user added image

Thanks for the suggestions, most helpful

Alan

IMDB
# 49 19-01-2004 , 06:16 PM
Damb it pony. I spent a few minutes painting color bleed onto the image and then was about to explain it when I read your reply. Good sudjestions. Here is the quick example.

Attached Thumbnails
# 50 19-01-2004 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
I've been looking at that picture some more and trying to figure out what bothers me. I then proceeded to search for images of the challenger (1-2) tank. I would believe the background photo was taken by a standing human beeing, possibly with some sort of support, and the tank looks kind of small in that perspective. I think it would add to the realism if you conveyed how large the thing is. See attached ref.
user added image
user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 51 19-01-2004 , 11:50 PM
DAMN,... I love the machines,... and the guns.... and the robots...
I'm gona have to work more on my modelling to start creating such stuff.... user added image

# 52 20-01-2004 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
Pure, thanks, I'm a happy dude now.

Rick, LOL. hay it worked out real good. I said the words and you did the example. Really nice example. Like you thought of more color bleeds hapaning than what I did.. like I forgot about from the tanks greenish color to the payvment. coolness.

fredriksson, damn they are big things!

# 53 20-01-2004 , 12:50 AM
I am bored at work and messed around a bit more. A agree about the size. I added film grain and distance blur. The funny thing is not even the photo looks CG 3D. That is not right. It is supposed to be the other way around to make it fit.

Attached Thumbnails
# 54 20-01-2004 , 10:21 AM
Yeah I can see what you mean about teh size of the tank, the only problem is that I cant really make it too much bigger (I'm assuming you meant make it bigger) cause then it wont fit in the street an dthat would mean digitally replacing the lamposts and bollards..... hmmm I will see if I can scale the bugger up a bit and see how that looks, I will try to get some more work done on it tonight (i just bought a copt of warzone 2100 on ebay and so that is taking up my time at the moment!) user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 55 20-01-2004 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber
I dunno Pure, but you got a meter or so to spare width-wise, that should get it lage enough to look good compared to eg. the door on the right. Also you can make tricks with the camera and perspective. user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 56 20-01-2004 , 02:57 PM
I think maybe If I beef up the cannon a bit that might make things look a bit cooler. I shall play tonight and see what happens user added image

IMDB
# 57 20-01-2004 , 04:22 PM
Here is one way to fit. haha

Attached Images
# 58 20-01-2004 , 04:25 PM
Here is a crazy picture of a tank I found. Tank cross

Attached Images
# 59 20-01-2004 , 04:57 PM
lol that's a great pic! I wish I had the internet at home so I could look at these when i'm modellingit! user added image

IMDB
# 60 21-01-2004 , 09:30 AM
here's the update, I've done some very subtle red bleed light as was asked for, it's VERY subtle though. I've also obviously scaled that bad boy up and it's made the world of difference! I'm much happier with how it sits in the scene now. I've adjusted some of the other lighting and modelled some more little things. I'm in the process of adding bolts and knuts everywhere so it's taking a while.

C+C?

Alan

Edit:

There's a problem with the lampost where the mask should be

Attached Thumbnails

IMDB