Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-06-2005 , 09:47 PM

Newbie's Questions on Character Animation

Hello Everyone.

I created a step with the right leg. Is there a way to create the same step with the left leg using the same animation? Also, my character is walking on a treadmill but the inbetween keyframes makes the character's foot go past it. How do I keep the movement on the surface? And lastly, I animated the character but I realized that the arm is a little off side. I want to adjust it in one keyframe, but I also want the adjustment to take place in all keyframes. Is there a way to do that without manually keyframing every frame?

Thank you for reading my post.

# 2 16-06-2005 , 11:39 PM
I'm not sure what your scene setup is -- though when a human runs, their legs aren't the only thing which moves; unless they are actually paying attention to keeping themselves level -- their hip will bounce and turn, their chest will sway, their head will bob a slight bit... these extra little details in character animation, 1) will correct the foot, and 2) make the animation look all the more professional.

For the quick fix you may want to go elsewhere besides me... though I believe it has something to do with inverse kinematics. (I usually just do the suckers way and keyframe everything -- buttt I'm sure someone else who knows the shortcuts will be able to help you... I'm just a 'if no-one else responds -- here's how you can fix it the long way' guy)

# 3 17-06-2005 , 07:37 AM
I would recommend learning more about the Graph Editor to fine tune the animation data between keyframes. That should help you adjust the feet position as well as the arm rotation without too much trouble.

As for mirroring the motions, I would just manually keyframe the other leg. You have one done. Not that hard to to another one. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job