Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-07-2007 , 10:05 PM

Rendering shadow/reflection but not the plane itself

Ok. So I have an object that's lying on a plane, casting a nice shadow - or creating a nice reflection. I want to use the finished image on the web.

But, we have a catch 22 here. In order for Maya to render a shadow or a reflection, it needs to render the entire plane beneath the object, meaning that there won't be an alpha channel, meaning that I can't use the resulting image on any background.

So, how do I render only the shadow/reflection on a surface and not the surface itself? Can it even be done? I want the shadow to be a part of the alpha channel, so it can be used on any background. Ditto for a reflection.

Is it possible?

--
Sandman[.net]
# 2 25-07-2007 , 10:36 PM
Dont thinnk you can for refelctions, I usualy do a refelction pass sepperate with all objects set to 100% refelctive, each object on a sepperate layer and then render and compsisite.

You should have an option to render just the shadows in the render layers options.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 25-07-2007 , 11:35 PM
Gster: Dont drink at noon! user added image

Last edited by Weyu; 26-07-2007 at 05:06 AM.
# 4 26-07-2007 , 12:25 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Use the backgroundshaderuser added image

# 5 26-07-2007 , 03:33 AM
or just check off primary visibility in the render options of the object.

i think that will work

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com