Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-10-2007 , 01:34 PM

Split Polygon Tool Problem

Hi.. Just started learning maya and i've just come across my first problem, whenever i use the split poly tool and select faces i end up with 2 face points instead of one which messes things up...Check pic below

Any help to correct this problem is appreciated

Thx

user added image

# 2 20-10-2007 , 02:16 PM
What happens if you select one one of the face markers closest to the split line? Does it highlight the faces on both sides of the line? If so, then it's most likely not a split polygon problem but an earlier extrude problem or something. So, if clicking on the dot closest to the split line highlights both sides of the line, it's selecting one face (a face that wasn't split.

If so, then before you did the split, you had two faces directly on top of each other. When you did the split, you split the foremost faces. When you goto face select mode, your seeing the two faces you created from the split and the one unsplit face hiding underneath. I say that because the bottom face that isn't split has a dot in the middle that's lined up with all the extra dots above it.

If you want confirmation, select the bottom face that isn't split and delete it to see if another face takes it's place.

Sorry for being so wordy, brains not working to well today and wanted to make sure I explained good enough.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 20-10-2007 , 02:17 PM
If it's an extrude problem, then you probably executed the extrude command and then didn't extrude, and didn't undo the extrude. That would leave you with extra faces.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 20-10-2007 , 03:09 PM
Ahh thx Perfecto your first post matches my problem exactly and makes perfect sense...I actually thought it was a bug with maya, i'm glad it was a fault of my own..Lol

Thx..