Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-05-2009 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber

HK USC

Hello All!

Well I just spent the week (re)introducing myself to the glory that is Maya. I decided to jump in with both feet and start with a tutorial from the site. Here is my work on the HK USC tutorial.

The modeling is done but as you can see the texturing/rendering/compositing side needs work. The model is textured as through the final part of the tutorial. However I composited ambient occlusion render over the master color render in photoshop. So I managed to turn the colorful render into a near greyscale version of itself. I also would like to figure out how to change the background color of the render. I'm missing a setting somewhere and going through the render settings in scene 19 of the tutorial to figure out how different my render settings are from the tutorials.

Phenominal tutorial by the way. It helped me really start to get the feel for Maya and taught me a lot of new tricks that will help me out in the future.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 18-05-2009 , 09:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
CGWolfgang

Good Job, Im glad you enjoyed the tute.

the best and quickest way to change the background color, is to select the camera and go to its attributes and under environment click the color and move the slider

cheers
Jay

# 3 18-05-2009 , 10:25 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
nice work! Looks good.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 19-05-2009 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber
Jay and Mayaniac Thanks for the compliments!

Still more tweaking as far as rendering goes but thanks to Jay's tip I've managed to adjust the camera. There's too much noise going on in the image so I'll need to adjust the AO settings or something before I get to the final rendering.

Its not rendering the trigger... Which means that I've messed the trigger. No big deal because its a relatively easy redo but here's the render error I got if anyone can help me make sense of exactly what I did.

invalid topology, object will not be tessellated
tessellation empty for object "TriggerShape"

But I decided to go one step further beyond the tutorial. Here's my addition(s) to the HK USC. I'm going for Army of two 'Pimped' Cheesyness! So I've added the ACOG, Suppressor, Grips, Dual Ammo Drum, and Grenade Undermount. I'm going to start playing with the textures and figuring out exactly what I'm going to do to trick it out. Definitely going for a silver and gold cheesy texture. But before that I have to adjust the geometry on the grips.

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 19-05-2009 , 08:19 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cool, its always good to see people expand on the tutes and make it their own - well done. Another member on the site (CTBRAM) did his own version of the sandspeeder and did a great job, there have been others too but that one stood out in particular.

I take it you know how to get rid of the grain on the render?

cheers
Jay

# 6 20-05-2009 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber
Jay Unfortunately I Don't know how to do it... yet. I think I might have put the AO pass to 2. Will definitely keep looking/experimenting though!

# 7 21-05-2009 , 08:56 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
To get rid of the grain you need to raise the number of samples
if your using ambient occlusion youll need to raise the it on the ambient occlusion network