Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-02-2011 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber

Stylized Bust

Hey just started a bachelor in 3D Design and Animation in Norway Last august. We've been through interiors,(modeling,texturting,lighting,rendering) and some simple animation, and just moved on to character design.

After a few weeks of learning the workflow of and different methods and techniques we're off to do our own character, from backstory to turntable and pose. In that regard I've been testing out a style I like a lot, sort of a more "hardedged/planar" approach. Here's where I'm at after about 2 days of work.

This guy was all about trying to get the look right, started off with the base head from mudbox and used a mouse to just sculpt in the very basic shapes I had in mind, and then exported that mesh into Max to do this work. I am using 3Ds Max, not Maya, but I was told i was allowed to post here despite of sortware, as it is indeed the results that matter and not the tools. The reason I didnt just sculpt this in Mudbox is because I havent gone into sculpting or anything yet, I just wanna get comfortable with modeling and such in Max first, personal preference I guess.

So yeah I could post a wire up here, but with regards to what I said about importing this from the Mudbox head I would be reluctant to do so as it is... funky.. in certain areas.

Anyways, tell me what you think - any feedback, good or bad that you may have is all my motivation for posting this so, please don't be shy!

user added image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

# 2 24-02-2011 , 03:42 PM
The Nurb Herd
sounds like a fun course.
The angular head thing seems familiar to me. perhaps i just watched too much red dwarf when i was wee.

if you are not animating anything and its just a turntable. I would not bother fixing any of the mesh problems. controversial i know, but what is the point? if it renders fine go for it. you said you have only just started so i wouldn't get too bogged down fixing things before you have a finished model. you don't want to lose momentum and enthusiasm for the project.

the top lip may be protruding too much if i was going to crit anything.

# 3 24-02-2011 , 04:44 PM
Subscriber
It's a lot of fun ! I realized before starting that as far as a "normal" job goes, it was either this or pretty much nothing..And actually beginning and really getting into it has only confirmed it.

Man I really liked that comment, your points are well seen ! Im definitely going to do some more work on the lips. Overall Im thinking certain "planes" arent well enough defined, such as the where the front plane of the cheeck turns to sideplane, and the lips as mentioned.. I really want to make it obvious that this look is intentional, but of course I still want it to be pleasing to as many as possible. Some people will think the edges are too hard, some not, it's all preference, but my personal preference would be slightly harder edges in the mentioned areas.. What do you reckon?

# 4 24-02-2011 , 05:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
Looks really good to me, I do like the style of it. A couple things that jump out at me are the nostrils, which could use some more shape, you could make them blocky, and the collarbone/chest area, which doesn't look well defined. Keep it up!