Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-11-2017 , 10:14 PM

Maya to After Effects & good results

Looking for some tips regarding Autodesk Maya & After Effects / Element 3D.

I am stuck in a project, I do the modelling and laying out in Maya, I get better rendering results in Maya with textures and materials but the rendering of animations is painfully slow with Mental Ray. I cant really do any of the effects in Maya though

I used to export the scene from Maya to After Effects and do the camera animations and effects but I do notice a difference in the textures, material quality.

Has any got any tips on how to get a middle result, somewhere I can do all of the work and get a good quality result.

Here is an example. I am making a cavern / cave / chasm that will have fog / mist. There are plenty of extras, broken bridge, skull entrances to the caves etc. And there will be monsters, animated who will also be shooting fireballs. I am not a master of animation, modelling etc and have to use the two softwares to get what I want.

This is a screen grab from Maya, which took 10 minutes for a 960 x 540 to render

user added image

And this is a test render I did in After Effects / Element

https://youtu.be/eBUbRiV95CM

I can do all the effects in After Effects but better render results in Maya

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-12-2017 , 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
I'm not seeing the typical expensive effects like indirect lighting, soft shadows, fluids etc so this frame shouldn't be 10 minutes on a decent PC. What are your machine specs? Are you using Maya 2016? I remember borderline ripping my hair out (and finding another renderer) because mental ray's performance tanked horribly in Maya 2016. You could probably optimize the scene a bit as well. If you feel comfortable sharing the scene, you can upload it to a file sharing site and pm me the link and I'll take a look.

- Genny