Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-12-2006 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber

Mirror Blendshapes

Hey guys,

Is there a way to mirror a blend shape? I've already created the shape and want to duplicate it on another side. I've tried duplicating on -1 x axis, but that didn't work, it still mimics the original shape. I tried freezing transformation, and it flips the shape. Tried Mirroring geo, and when added to blend shape, it crunches and breaks the model.

So....there's got to be a way to mirror it right?

# 2 13-12-2006 , 03:08 PM
Subscriber
you have tried instancing of course?? maybe you cant duplicate a blend, i mean any duplcation will be of the original shape/geometry, there is no other way (is there, that is what duplicate means??) so maybe you mght have to rebuild the shape or duplicate it and group it with a single control system?? the post is a bit vague, because there are so many ways for so many reasons, if you are a lttle more specific some of the smarter lads might be ble to help.

maybe i'm just vague and your post is succinct?? user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 13-12-2006 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Oh sorry, I didn't think it was vague. I guess I was the only one that could understand what I said.lol

Ok here I screen cap what I wanted to do. I already have a left smirk, so I want to make another duplicate of it, but with a right smirk.

I didn't try instancing before, since instancing is just an interactive way to model both side at once.

I've already got the object I want to mirror, so instancing wouldn't do me anygood as far as I know.

Methods I've tried.
--------------------
I used mirror blendshapes in koshigaya studios, but that kept crashing my computer, so it didn't work.

I've tried duplicating with a -x axis scale. I've tried mirror geo.
I've tried reversing scale on the base object, free transformation, to get rid of the -1 x scale and duplicate, that didn't work either.

Is there a script that would do this? I don't think maya has a built in mirror blendshape tool.

I hope that was clear. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 13-12-2006 , 03:34 PM
Subscriber
user added image way over my head but instancing i far more than just modelling in a mirrored`way, if you look at the options in the 'duplicate' action you will see 'copy '(i think its called) and 'instancing'. so you make duplcate of the geometry and when you change one the other changes wiith it, or thats my understanding, cant check, puter down. ( i am sure you already know this, but do not underestimate instancing, especially with particles) user added image

looks like you will save time just going in there and doing the geometry the old fashioned way, by hand, while you wait for an answer that may or may not come ( I meam mirroring a blend shape and duplicatng it at the same time doesn't sound poss to me, but then again, maya can do anything, nearly)

some great work there!

i think this new post of yours will definately help those who can answer this to understand your needs.

OK wheres the big guns?? lads??

user added image

# 5 13-12-2006 , 11:40 PM
Subscriber
Ok thanks mirek, I'll have to do it by hand again. I made some mistakes on 3 of the heads so when I added to the blend shapes, it bounced. When that happened I was thinking "DOH! don't want to model it again!" lol

# 6 14-12-2006 , 07:23 AM
Subscriber
i can only hope i haven't given you bum stear, but all the tuts i have watched ( a few) have never shown (that I can remember) an 'easy' way to duplicate an expression in the way you asked, opposite side, it all seems by hand (?? mouse, whatever lol ??).

maybe it is gratifying to know that an exact duplicate may look a little 'plastic' in the sense that no-one can snear, half smile, whatever in a way that is an exact copy from one side of the face to the other, and so, if you do it by hand it might be more expressive to the viewer.., if only on a subliminal level; i say 'only' but it is an important consideration. Expression is the key to the character so do not fudge it or take the easy way, go for the best you can do, even if you have to struggle through all the mistakes (just think of all you will learn lol). only a dead line will kill you user added image user added image

i hope some-one with more experiance can help you. user added image

great work and i hope one day i can do that, i have just got kurts free human form recently (all the parts) so when the puter gets back i will be still struggling with nurbs sub Ds and organics user added image