Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-06-2005 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber

Selection and Uv Editor help

Hey ,
I have used Lightwave before and have moved to Maya but am having a few problems with making selections.
In Lightwave when I select a face or vert it only selects the one closest to the camera not mesh behind it.

1/ In Maya Im getting really frustrated because I will select a face in persp, only to see it select the face behind it. So I unselect it, and it unselects the face I want as well, and on and on. I have to fart around getting persp on a good angle where theres no mesh behind it in order to select only the poly I want.
Please tell me theres a way to fix this somewhere in settings.

2/ Uv editor, I have started doing UV maps but when I try and select teh face in the UV editor it selects the face I want and hides the rest, so how am I supose to align anything if it all disapears. Very annoying.

Please any help would be great.

# 2 29-06-2005 , 11:15 PM
To begin with, it sounds lick your are drag selecting. That's the only way it would ever slect 2 faces in one try. When you're trying to select one face, just click on that face. However, if you really want to drag select, and you don't want it to select back faces, in the attribute editor under Mesh Component Display, set backface culling to full.

As for the UV editor, yeah it's kind of weak. However, you shouldn't even be in face mode. You should be in UV mode. Then you'll be able to select the UVs you want to edit and still see all of the faces.

# 3 30-06-2005 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
Thanks,

yea the selection thing is wierding me out, I'm sure I have drag select turned off in preferences, and Im definatly just clicking 1 face at a time. If I play around with bacface cull it can help but seems to change back.

Im working on a gun , so for example I want to select 4 polys on the top whilst in perpective mode, but when I rotate around it, it selected some of the ones directly opposite it.
This is a nightmare when after a few merge's, a couple of deleted edges, I find out its done it to faces on the opposite side as well.

I can't explain it, I was hoping someone knows what I'm on about or had same prob and know how to fix it.