Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 151 25-04-2006 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
in the first, your wire doesn't seem to match the image; which is questionable anyway, looks like someone did a touch up and got it wrong, maybe big ears and no lobes is a sign of beauty these days, not to mention the huge hole in her head.

don't lose heart, you should be able to see from your front view something is wrong.

my advice; leave it for a day or two and come back to it, looks like you have stared at it too long and can't see it objectively, maybe its just these things take a long time. You really need a BASIC drawing book so you understand the dimensions and the blocking required and work with that and your references.. it only requires a slight touch here and there and it would be near perfect, or continue with the advice jay has given you, to the letter my friend, don't try to cut corners, he's a busy lad and he's not giving you this advice because hes bored but because he knows what he is talking about. , don't let him slip the net.

jay, don't mean to push you...

take it easy and life will be easy
# 152 25-04-2006 , 03:08 AM
Subscriber
hi

Attached Thumbnails

# 153 25-04-2006 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber
be VERY aware this is an ASIAN girl...

Attached Thumbnails

# 154 25-04-2006 , 03:14 AM
Subscriber
hi

Attached Thumbnails

# 155 25-04-2006 , 07:51 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Mirek :

Hey its no problem honestly. I was going to suggest a drawing book as well, some more traditional theory and practical is required here along with the 'rules'

Some Guy:

Well your choice of female was top in my book!!

The Profile image of Natalie Portman shows her leaning forward so you aren't getting a correctly proportioned model as with the front image too, shes looking down a little bit but the eyes are facing the camera

I have a ton of images of her at every angle I could find, PM me your email I'll send you some if you want. VladimirJP advised me a while back against using profile and front views 'to the letter' as they are incorrect, and not true to the form of the head, body etc

The best thing is to find lots of images and embed them in your mind and use them while modelling at different angles.

And yes by all means take a break or YOU WILL go nuts and more so round in circles and achieve nothing. Fresh eyes are always best, give it a couple of days have a look at some images around the web, not just Miss Portman, then you'll see hopefully what you need to do. All the best

Jay

# 156 26-04-2006 , 08:44 AM
Subscriber
so THATS Portman.., I wondered. I know you don't mind mate, just sticking my nose in again, sorry. Interesting what you said no faces are the same, yes true but I just thought some guy should see some basic thirds etc. take care...

some guy, how are you going mate, taking a well earned rest...

# 157 26-04-2006 , 09:53 AM

what you said no faces are the same

Did I? Where?

But to answer that anyway, its true, no Face is the same ie: height, width etc, but generically - yes, but otherwise...

and I agree totally about Some guy needing the basic thirds too, hell, we all could here and there

Jay:bandit:

# 158 26-04-2006 , 10:40 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mirek03

some guy, how are you going mate, taking a well earned rest...

Yeah. I went to a play for a school excursion today. This may sound odd but instead of waching it i spent the entire time looking at peoples faces and studying if they were in proportion or were the edge loops are ect.
I think i have been doing this model for too long :p

Thanks for those scetching book pics. I think i have one of those books at home.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 159 26-04-2006 , 11:49 PM
Subscriber
'using profile and front views 'to the letter' as they are incorrect, and not true to the form of the head, body etc'

that's where you said it I just simplified it, especially as I thought we were referancing generic outlining...

someguy, it sounds lime your becoming a dreamer and an artist in situ.., soon all you will see are vectors and framing, measurements and outlines, so be it, how do you think any artist thinks.., like that mate. I watch a movie and see colour combination, camera angle, focal length, embedded info rather than dialogue, ect. I listen to a song and I listen for the turn around, is it a 2-5-1?, the harmony.., I dont know what other people hear?

I look at women and wish

:blush: thats art

# 160 27-04-2006 , 07:02 AM
Hey Mirek/Some Guy

Yep. Its true. With orthos you dont get and exact dimension as far as depth is concerned, the best way to counter this is to create a new camera at the same height with a more perspective image applied to its 'plane'

Also if you think about it we dont view anything in an orthographic way. Our field of vision is wide and I think the average lens/field of view of the human eye is about 27.5 (I think, I may be wrong) So again this puts the emphasis on getting as much reference as possible at every conceivable angle you can. And generally studying anatomy as a whole to gain the knowledge of the generic implements of the human body.

Someguy: I tried to mail your account but it kept getting rejected. I'll post them here tnite after work.

cheers Guys
Jay

# 161 27-04-2006 , 07:27 AM
Subscriber
jay, from my understanding the standard SLR is 'set' (whats the right word) at human vision so 50-55 mm is our focal angle and so is the 'standard' SLR camera. so our field of vision is equal to the 50 mm lens. default 35 on Maya I think is a nice compromise the standard wide angle 28mm and the standard 50.

anyway if that helps??

more perspective image applied to its 'plane',

mate i don't understand this

interesting stuff... especially considering the emphasise on image plans.

# 162 27-04-2006 , 07:48 AM
Subscriber
Jay: I think i need to create a new email with a shorter name or something cause this has happened before to other people.
i don't really understand what you mean about the other camera perspective thang aswell.

# 163 27-04-2006 , 09:44 AM
Basically create a new camera and apply a 3 quarter image or as near as of eg:Natalie Portman to the camera image plane. Then line the camera up with the model like you would in an ortho view, exept this is or would be another perspective camera. So you would have 2 perp cameras and 3 orthos, top front and side, in all 3 of the planes would have your 'reference' images on...simple

Mirek 55mm hmmm? Thank you. I'll try and fathom where I got 27.5 from

Jay

# 164 27-04-2006 , 11:12 AM
ahhaaaa a result from some lens research....

the standard single lens for 35mm film is 50mm

but wide angle for 35mm is actually 28mm so I was .5 out (this would be 'our' lenses in Theory. Because we have two lenses therefore creating a wide field of view, when added together would be 56mm so we are both correct in terms of lens focal length.)

This is what I understand so far...

Jay

# 165 28-04-2006 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
Well, i have the entire weekend to work on this model. The only problem is that i have absolutley no idea how to fix the model. I know what i HAVE to do but i dont know HOW to do it. I tried a lattice deformer to pull the parts into the correct place but it came out really odd. Plese help user added image