Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 03-04-2003 , 02:56 PM
Good start mate=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 17 03-04-2003 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
Hi Kurt,

Thank you... user added image

and a little update... I have tried to mirror and combine it, to see how it may come to look like... user added image

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 18 03-04-2003 , 10:35 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

another little update... user added image

played a little with fur to see how it works... however there seem to be a little problem on the middle of it... user added image

regards

Strarup

Alex V. U. Strarup

# 19 04-04-2003 , 02:41 AM
Subscriber
intresting one.. though the front of the belly is a little boxy. but the rest is looking good. LOL at the fur.. haven't played with it my self yet but that is a intresting afect . the strip. I would keep it just for fun. and I like the one with less hair.

# 20 04-04-2003 , 08:59 AM
Subscriber
Hi pony,

Thanks... user added image

the bald section in the middle is something extra that was added when I mirrored the figure... I still find it strange why it won't have fur like the rest of the figure... user added image

I'm long away from finished with the halfpart, I know it is a bit boxy, but I was very currious on how it would look like, and banged it together...

however there are still a lot of areas that need to be worked on... especially since I have discovered that the Fur doesn't want to work together with SubD's which I did with the figure before adding the fur... so I had to use smooth sometimes on the polygon's...

I don't know if I get time to work on it today, since it is my wife's birthday today... user added image

regards

Strarup

Alex V. U. Strarup

# 21 04-04-2003 , 09:28 AM
Subscriber
cool.. no I don't think it would be good for you to be off someware working on a pic of a hairy woman whill its your wife's birthday !! not good.. LOL

hummm about the hair down the midle.. maybe you should cheak your outliner.. there could be a subD shell superinposed with the rest right there... I know I have had a time or to of switching from poly to subD and mirror and attach ware some ware it got a extra copy of one of them in there that I didn't ask for..
just a thought..

oh just trying to help.. you probly know this or know of it.. but try using smoth proxy.. once thoghs polys are smothed there is no good way to reduse there number.. tweeking a poly that has bean smothed perminitly is a nightmare.. much eazyer to do with the low count poly fraim..

or make a copy and thin smoth that so you can see how it looks with the fur.. I think the fur is cool.. I'm thinking about trying it maybe for this comp also.. although I probly will not have time to get to that..

# 22 18-04-2003 , 11:11 PM

Originally posted by strarup
I have used a polyplane to start with... properly a wrong way to start...

Why is it a wrong way to start with it?
please explain it to a n00b. user added image

# 23 19-04-2003 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber
Hey have you combined both halves and then merged the middle verts? If you havent done this with a merge of .0001 then thats probably the problem. Hope you get it fixed, lol.. right now those strips of hair do look a bit akward.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 24 19-04-2003 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber
Thats cool ..user added image

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 25 29-04-2003 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
Hi,

I'm sorry that I haven't replyed/responded earlier... user added image

I have firgured out why the baldness was there, it was because of a of a extra face after Mirroring... and also possible because of the "normals" facing in the wrong direction...

but I have started overnew with the figure... the cylinder method teased a bit... and I have begun using CPS (Connect Poly Shape)... which have made the whole process much easier... at least it feels that way... user added image

regards

Strarup

Alex V. U. Strarup

# 26 29-04-2003 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber
here is an update... after discovering the thing with the baldness... I started overnew with the Cylinder method... user added image

which i npw have dropped... and begun using CPS... user added image

regards

Strarup

Alex V. U. Strarup

# 27 29-04-2003 , 01:10 AM
Subscriber
I also tried the cylinder metod with the other figure... to see if it was a bit easier... but it wasn't... user added image

Alex V. U. Strarup

# 28 29-04-2003 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber
Then I begun overnew with CPS... and this is how far I am at the moment... user added image

regards

Strarup

Alex V. U. Strarup

# 29 29-04-2003 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber
Hi EagleKing,

eh... if starting out with an polyplane is bad or not I'm not sure... but only modelling with Polyplanes can be pretty arkward... and very Time consuming...

but you can do a lot with it... when I first started I found it quite difficult to get something properly out of e.g. a cube... how many subdivisions did it need etc... so I tried to build it up using a polyplane for every part of the model... but instead of a connected shape/part you will end up with a lot of loose shapes/parts... which then need to be combined and merged to get a whole connected shape/part... but it can be done... user added image

when I worked on theF117 Stealth Fighter aka Nighthawk
project in a earlier chalenge... which was one of the first thing I modelled in Maya, I only used polyplanes to model with...

I will try to share some of the knowlegde and experience I have got/collected along the way... e.g. by only using polyplanes to model with... those things can also be used on other polygons objects to...

most of the tools I need/use I have put in a costumized shelve... I don't know if you know how to make a shelve... but you hold down the "CTRL" and "SHIFT" button... and then click on the subject you want in the shelve from the menu that you have selected... I will start out with the text part accompinied with the attached image down under... user added image

1. I have created 2 polyplanes which I will use in this little sharing tut... user added image

2. the Split Polygon Tool... (Edit polygons... --> Split Polygon Tool)

the Split Polygon Tool is a very useful tool... and if you want to give it a bit of control to get it more accurate when using it... you can do this by selecting the "options" from the Split Polygon Tool (by clicking on the little black square next to it in the menu)... with the value of 1, besides you can select the corner this value makes it possible to select it as close to the middle of the chosen edge...
with the value of 3 you have the option to chose to put the split in the middle and a 3/4 from the middle and the corner...

it is unfortunately not possible to undo anything in the regular way (Ctrl+Z) while using the Split Polygon tool... however there is 2 other possibilities... the Delete key, which will go X's step back, where X is the amount of hitting the delete key until the split polygon process is deleted... an other way if you e.g. hit the corne instead of the middle and don't want to go a step back... you can press the middle mouse button, which then will make it possible to move it along the egde between the two corners and the middle...

3. it is also possible to attach the vertices... however if you want to merge them they have to be combined to be one part... there are several ways to do that... one way I have learned along the road is using the snap to point thingie... before that I tried to get one vertice as close as possible to the other vertice it was supposed to be merged with... (not always with a good result thou)...

you don't have to combine the vertices, to snap them together... but if you want to get one vertice out of the two vertices by merging them you need to combine them... you can find the snap to point tool above the shelves... instead of the move tool I usually use the Move Component type (Edit polygons... --> Move Component)... with it I don't get the warning "Tweaks can be undesirable on shapes with history." because the Move Component becomes part of the history", after that I drag the vertice/point to the other vetice, and they are snapped/alligned/share the same coordinates... it is still 2 vertices thou... user added image

when it becomes time to merge the vertices, I combine them with the combine tool (Polygons... --> Combine)... after that I use 2 different values for the Merge tool... "0.0001" and "10.0000"... the "0.0001" value I use for vertices that have been snapped and share the same coordinates... otherwise it doesn't seem to will merge the points/vertices... the value "10.000" I use for the rest, if I want to merge vertices... if I want to select more than one thing... in this case vertices... I hold down the shift key and click on the vertices I want to select (this work for all objects that you want to select)... it is the same process as in windows when you want to select e.g. files... it is just Ctrl instead of shift...

4. to give a Polyplane more depth without "tweaking" it... (tweaking = pull & drag vertices, edges etc.)... you can use the Extrude Edge or Extrude face tool...but be aware that when extruding faces on a polyplane, you also create "holes" in it... these "holes" can be filled thou... e.g. by using the fill hole tool... "append polygon tool" can also be used...

5. as said earlier I use the "Move Component" tool to move things around... usually I hit the "blue thing ring" of the moving pivot, it is not always nessarry, however not doing it can sometimes create strange and bizaar things, when moving arround with e.g. several selected vertices without changing the mode of it by hitting the blue thing... I unfortunately can't remember the name of it...

6. an other way which also is mentioned to fill holes is the "Append Polygon Tool"... this tool can be more useful than the "Fill Hole"-tool... if you have several holes... and e.g. some of them shouldn't be closed/filled... because it closes/fills all of the "Holes"... sometimes using the "Append Polygon Tool"... can be a nightmare... it depends on the edges it should be attached to... but sometimes it can be nessarry to "use split polygon tool", "Snap to point" and the "merge tool" to get a good result out of closing/filling a "hole", and still have a whole figure out of it...

this was just a litlle bit of it... but with these tools and using polygons... you can almost model anything you like... I don't so often use Polyplanes to model with at the moment... sometimes I still use it as a beginning point thou, to get a 3d feeling, what there should be needed... e.g. how many subdivisions do a PolyCube need if I want to model with it... so I mostly use it for planning or making controlling objects to create a bit of the 3D feel of the object I want to model... I'm also a Newbie... user added image

but last week I begun to use the Connect PolyShape tool to model with... I find it a very cool and great tool to model with... and Kühl showed me a method so I only had to work on one half of the object, so I didn't have to work on both sides of it... it made the moddelling process a bit faster...

regards

Strarup

Alex V. U. Strarup

# 30 30-04-2003 , 11:37 AM
user added image .... you wrote a lot...wwooo...thank you very much....it helped me more than all tuts together cuz its the basic of modeling... user added image