Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 29-11-2008 , 08:56 AM

using a photo of a face as a face texture

after uv mapping my 3d head, can I use a photo as a texture without actually painting it on ?
I modeled my dad's head and I would like to use a photo of his face for the actual texture ... the picture is at 10 mp front view ...

Could I use that as the actual face texture, and if so how do I deform it so it will fit the uv layout ?

Thanks loads,
Vick.

# 2 29-11-2008 , 10:50 AM
Lifetime Member
You can use a photo to texture the face however it is rare that you could use the entire photo without some copy/pasting.
A good way to start would be to use the liquify tool in PS to push the phot into position on the UV map and see where you stand after that, you will almost certainly have some minor stretching so you can then use either the clone tool and cut and past parts of the photo to fix the offending areas.This may or may not be sucessful depending on your UV layout and you might have to take addtional photos also to get the result you are after.

hope this helps a little regards J.S.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 29-11-2008 , 12:18 PM
thank you very much ! this will do perfectly user added image

This is what I would have done , I just had a feeling that there's some enter photo > here's you texture type of softwere user added image

Thanks loads,
Vick.