Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-04-2005 , 08:23 PM

the game artist guide to maya

sigh ok;
I am working through the game artist guide to maya. In chapter 2 the first thing you do is make the sword for silinus the warror saytire. I open the black and white drawing of just the sword in the main screen. i click on create new poligon so i can start tracing the blade out. I trace out the bottom of the blade and halfway through i cannot finish becasue it will not let me trace out the top half of the blade. When i look at the picture I can see the grid on the bottom half of the picture ( it looks transparent ) but i cannot see the the grid behind the top half of the sword ( not transparent ) if I could describe it a little better i would say the grid on the main screen seems to lie flat while the black and white drawing of the sword seem to occupy a more 3d plane and hovers above it thus preventing me from adding polygans on the area where the grid "ends". any help? i don't want to take the book back but I am getting frustrated after 2 days of not being able to beyond chapter 2.

# 2 25-04-2005 , 06:59 AM

Image Plane

Did you set up your image plane correctly?

THis is what I'd recommend..the best part about knowing you've learned something. If the technique in the book isn't working exactly, revert to using basic shapes to shape the sword. A cube or cylinder. user added image Adapt when you hit a roadblock, this is how you know you have learned techniques to accomplishing what you need done. And of course, never stop asking questions. user added image

That's my recommendation user added image If the way in the book isn't working as you expected, do it another way just as long as you can get a similar or same result. Shaping the sword, you can also use a nurbs or polygon plane I gather. user added image

# 3 29-04-2005 , 02:05 AM

i will try

I am so totally new at this it isn't funny! I figured out that i had the plane set wrong now I am working on getting the blade and handle together. don't worry i will bug you guys to death till it's done. ( My girlfriends can't figure out why i want to sit hunched in front of a computer all day and my husband thinks he's been replaced tee hee )

I'm not bad, my polycounts just make me that way..
# 4 29-04-2005 , 12:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
You can't trace in the perspective view. You need to use an orthographic view, such as the side view. If you are, and it's still not letting you, I have no idea what the issue may be.

One thing you should keep in mind (and is stated in the book's opening section) is that it is not a beginner's guide to maya. I would call my book the second book you read. After reading a beginner's guide to learn Maya basics, then mine would be there to take you into game art from that point.

# 5 02-05-2005 , 02:43 PM

beginner book

Mike could you recommend a good beginner book for me? I got this at walden books and i took 3 books up to the teller and asked her which one would be best to start for basics and she recommended yours ( I think she was going by price now )

I'm not bad, my polycounts just make me that way..