Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 31-03-2017 , 07:30 PM

UV unwrapping: what to aim for?

I'm trying to create UVs for a 3D model (castle keep), being completely new to UVs I don't know what the "final destination" should look like, so I cannot reach it. I followed a few tutorials but I do not know what the UV window should look like to be considered "Done". The issue is not how to do it, but what to aim for. Is it maximizing the use of the 0 to 1 space? do scale of parts matter in relation to one another? Do I need to keep the model together as much as I can, or should I get it more separated?

I have here images of the castle keep, and what the current result, is this what you would aim for?

Last edited by lookdev; 01-04-2017 at 04:22 PM.
# 2 01-04-2017 , 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Personally, I aim for a layout that has as little distortion as possible while still being humanly readable, the latter being a bit less significant. Depending on the complexity and importance of the object, I might use more UV spaces instead of trying to stuff everything in the 0-1 space. To me, it beats having to compensate by using extremely high resolution textures to allow for detail. I can't see any images of your castle but if I were aiming for realism then I'd go with multi tile UVs. If it works and it's clean, then it's done.

- Genny