Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 09-09-2003 , 01:26 AM
Really nice bud.. covert to tris so i can have a look.

you might be able to reduce his count even more....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 32 09-09-2003 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Kurt that would be great! I haven't deleted any of the faces that are 'hidden' yet so there's a few to go there too.

Attached Images
# 33 09-09-2003 , 01:38 AM
just look at the main part of the hand... you shouldn't need that many around the knuckels..

good stuff

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb

Last edited by Kurt; 09-09-2003 at 01:57 AM.
# 34 09-09-2003 , 01:42 AM
Subscriber
Good point - I shall get on with reducing those. Thanks!

# 35 09-09-2003 , 06:47 PM
Subscriber
Hi Witchy,

if you are not entirely happy with it as yet, you might try
to play around with some of the proportions a little.

The eyes seem a little to high up, and maybe you could
give the chin a little more definition.
The neck tailors inwards when mabe he'd look a little more
stocky if it was the reverse.

Maybe you could make a few copies of the model and apply
a few ffd cages to different areas and quickly try different
proportions, then compare to see which you like the most.

Hope this helps a little.

# 36 09-09-2003 , 09:31 PM
What i would do .. is just have a good look at the concept and sketch out your own version just so it doesnt end up exactly like the original concept and to help alot with proportions etc etc instead of having to go back and tweak I think its looking great though... i really cant wait to see waht you do with textures after the great job with the last competition

FX supervisor - double negative
# 37 09-09-2003 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Chris and Laurie - am working on a few changes. I am vaguely happy with the proportions overall, but am fixing the face up as suggested - good ideas.

Lord save me with the texturing actually as I have never 'painted' a human from scratch so I am absolutely dreading it! This will be the first humanoid game thing I have textured.

I hope it isn't looking too much like a bad copy of the original concept - the pics I posted have to make do for my inspiration as I have the drawing skills of a gibbon that had its arms cut off and minced up in front of it. I am hoping to have something that wouldn't look out of place standing in the same army (at the back so you can't see my bad UV unwrapping, lol.) by the end.

# 38 10-09-2003 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber
OK bit of an update - redid the face as suggested, working on the proportions and chin in particular. Remodelled the gloves as Kurt suggested, saving lots of polys there which was handy. Currently 2630 triangles which leaves me the ones I need for weapons once they are optimised. Useful.

I think this chap is about done for now but I shall revisit him before unwrapping and texturing so feel free to suggest improvements. Plus I haven't smoothed any edges yet really so must do that. I shall now try and model the other chap, which will leave me the second part of the month for the really fear inducing part of the challenge - textures!

Edit - neck is now a bit wider than in this shot, thanks Icky for pointing that out.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Witchy; 10-09-2003 at 08:05 PM.
# 39 12-09-2003 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber
Moved along to the dwarf character and started on the head (no edges smoothed yet).

Attached Images

Last edited by Witchy; 12-09-2003 at 01:01 AM.
# 40 12-09-2003 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber
In progress shots.

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 12-09-2003 , 01:04 AM
Subscriber
Widen the jaw a little. His temple should be narrower than the jaw. It's looking mighty fun!

# 42 12-09-2003 , 04:14 AM
Subscriber
Good point.

Attached Images
# 43 13-09-2003 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber
Looking nice witchy! Some of those faces could use some Normal Softening. After that a little bit of lighting might bring out the characteristics a little more.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 44 13-09-2003 , 08:18 PM
If its for a game, messing with the lighting in maya wouldnt help, and games dont normally support normal softening.

# 45 13-09-2003 , 08:30 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yes, they do. Softening the normals would affect how it looks in the game.

Lighting would not. Games do have lighting, however, so if you want to simulate game lighting, feel free to use them.