Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-02-2004 , 07:55 PM
Simply Maya OG

The Good Ole Simply Maya

Whats happened to this place? Now, before anyone gets all defensive (as im sure most mods will, ESPECIALLY Kev and Dave). Just hear me out. I remember back when I joined (back in Dec of 2002). Everyone helped everyone out, no one got ingored, espceciall in the WIP forums. No fights, everyone was all nice and polite and evertying. Now, some people are kind of rude, some people get ignored if asked for help, or even just for some feedback. Now, I know this dosent apply to everyone/all the time. I dont know if its just me, or not. user added image I also liked the old site layout/colors. Its just....the SM site colors. It got changed to how it is now (Im not complaining about the site layout and colors or anything, cause it is all really good. And I know Dave and Kevin did ALOT to get it updated, and props go out to them). This whole thing may be just a thing with me not liking change, because things have changed way more than they should have in my life. Again, Im not complaining or anything. Just wanted to speak what was on my mind. I congradulate Kevin and David for running an awsome site. user added image

- Hybrid
# 2 04-02-2004 , 08:00 PM
I understand what you mean about the wip and rudeness. ive seen a little of it, most of it surprisingly not from newbies as it is on most sites. But still some from them. It is annoying to put a thread up in the help section because you need a question answered and the only respons is someone linking you to another thead that most of the time doesnt answer your question...

But i tink considering the age range, maturity levels. and personality differences on the site its not doing too bad.

# 3 04-02-2004 , 10:31 PM
Kevin
sorry you feel that way mate, maybe I will get someone to mod the wip area a little heavier to cut down on any thing that shouldnt be happening there.

I dont ever visit the WIP area so cant really comment on it, as for feedback etc...well all we can do is supply the tools and you lot have to make best use of it. We cant afford to get someone full time to sit there and make suggestions. So as I say, try to help each other... If it continues to go downhill then the wips forum will be removed

As for the colour scheme etc well Im afraid its staying this way, I much prefer it, not only does it look better, but it works better and now things can be found easier. But on the other hand you have your views and opinions and I respect you for it.

# 4 05-02-2004 , 01:53 AM
SM Tea Boy
Its a difficult thing, back in 2002 this site was a lot easier to manage. Some people, have now been here so long, they feel they can say anything they like. Another part is when you've been here for a while and you start to see the same question come up time and time again well...

Also now most of mine and Kevin's time is taken up with all the simply stuff, we just don't have the time we would like to dedicate to the forums.

As for the site design well that's horses for courses, I think, some people preferred the old one and some people prefer the new one. I was just trying for something a bit easier to navigate when i designed it, and i hope, at the end of the day that's what we ended up with.

You yourself have been here for a long while now, if you have the time and the inclination give me a shout. We would have no problem, putting you as a moderator on the WIP section of the forum. You've seen something your not happy with, so come sit this side of the table for a bit and help put it right.

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 05-02-2004 , 02:21 AM
Subscriber
This site still RoCkS!!user added image user added image user added image

Keep up the Good work Guysuser added image

I-Iybrid You ROCK TOO my man user added image

# 6 05-02-2004 , 02:51 AM
I know I dont reply as much as I used to, but I honestly try to get to everyone when I can. It's just been a wired few months for me moving in all and trying to get my reel done and come up with new tuts for you guys.

Hopefully things will settle down a bit more for me and I can really make sure no one is left out. SM, Kev and Dave have been a huge part of my life for almost 2 years now and I want to make sure im doing my part for them as well as the members.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 7 05-02-2004 , 02:51 AM
Subscriber
I'm still here... I know I dont post as much as I want/used to but I visit the forums at least a few times a day.. user added image

-Emo

# 8 05-02-2004 , 03:01 AM
Subscriber
You ROCK KURT!!!user added imageuser added imageuser added image

# 9 05-02-2004 , 04:16 AM
Simply Maya OG
Hi guys. Thnx for all the responses. I know you cant controll everyone. I also understand for the people who've been here a long while, of getting tired of the same questions poping up. Theres always newbs comming along, in need of some help. Just think about it, you where there at one point or another too. As for the mod situation, Ill PM you Dave, see what we can do. Most of the 'vets' here arent around as much, due to real life issues, and thats just fine. Its life, and we have to deal with it. Again, thank you Kevin and David for running a killer site. Its tought me so much, Im going to be here forever. Keep on rocking guys. user added image

Tiller, my man. YOU rock! user added image

- Hybrid
# 10 05-02-2004 , 04:36 AM
Subscriber
I joined back in Dec 2002 when there where very few people posting. It has gone crazy now with hundreads of post everyday. I wish I can help out a bit more but there is just to many posts to keep up with. This site is still my number one cg site to go to everyday. Keep up the good work guys!

# 11 05-02-2004 , 04:45 AM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, as communities grow, these things happen. Be thankful it's not like SOME message board where you're lucky to get any response at all. I just took a glance through the WIP boards, and the vast majority have at least a couple responses. Not too shabby. user added image

# 12 05-02-2004 , 05:30 AM
Well I need to add my 2 cents worth, not sure what that is in sterling...LOL.
I do not like the new color scheme because it seems too sterile to me. But the navigation is easier and more efficent. The only problem with the new mechanics of the site I have had is with the email notices you get about replys to a thread. The timing of the ones I recieve is way off and now when I click the link in my email I am no longer logged on automatically I have to go to the log in and do that then return to the place I was taken by my email if I wish to post again. Maybe I am just basically lazy but I dislike that aspect of the new site very much. And obviously I do not like sterile environments but this site is for those that actually use maya. I am just a viewer and supporter and so I did not voice my dislikes about the changes. Since someone did start a thread I am adding my feelings.
HOWEVER, I am a loyal supporter of this site and all simply sites and activities I think you guys are doing wonderful things you have not yet seen all the results of. So ROCK on Kevin and David I will get some rose colored glasses to use when here...user added image

"Si vis pacem para bellum" if you desire peace, prepare for war.
# 13 05-02-2004 , 05:37 AM
Subscriber
Lets not for get that these people have other Jobs to Support them selfs and their family. user added image

# 14 05-02-2004 , 05:59 AM
Good point R-Tillery and in that spirit I volunteer my help with timely email notices to members. Hopefully it is possible for me to help in this way.

"Si vis pacem para bellum" if you desire peace, prepare for war.
# 15 05-02-2004 , 06:07 AM
I too volunteer any services i can lend. Not sure how long i have been a member here, but i registered here about the same time i registered with slw.

No point about complaining about problems you see if you dont offer services to correct them. Im on a lot. Messenger handle is in my sig and i check my pm's dailyuser added image