Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-10-2008 , 01:52 AM

First Project

I picked up Maya as a hobby and have been using it for about 2 or 3 months now and am currently in a basic modeling class at the local community college. For our first major project we were to model 3 or so objects with some sort of relationship, texture them up and put them in a scene. Attached is mine, all smoothed and prettied up.

I'm not too fond of the lighting. I haven't learned much about lighting yet but really didn't like the pre-lit set that was given us, so I modified it some on my own through trial and error.

I welcome C&C, but keep in mind I'm a newbie user added image

Thanks.

# 2 20-10-2008 , 01:57 AM
Picture attachment didn't seem to work, I'll try one more time.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 20-10-2008 , 01:58 AM
Edit: Ah, there it is. Looks pretty good, but the wood texture on the handle of the paint-roller looks a bit awkward.

~I have no idea what I'm doing~
# 4 20-10-2008 , 02:13 AM
I went back and forth on that handle. I may lower the bump mapping on it some and make it a little darker color. Thanks.

# 5 20-10-2008 , 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
Not bad,especially for a new user. Only real crit at this point is the lack of shadows but you said you didn't get that far yet so can't really say its a minus.

- Genny
# 6 20-10-2008 , 05:05 AM
Subscriber
looks good man as G said get some proper lightin in there will look spot on , maybe have some of the point in the can on the wall as its just been put on could give it a nice comp i rekon

regards sicky

# 7 20-10-2008 , 10:32 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try to play around with the lighting more tonight to try and bring out the shadows more.

Good idea about the paint on the wall, I may work with that some tonight as well.

Love the site. I really enjoy playing around with Maya so hopefully I will be contributing more often here in the future.