Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 28-10-2008 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
Dont show unfinished stuff unless its finished, so to speak, show in progress stuff from wires thru to textures to final render.

If you have followed tutes dont include those as it will show you are relying on someone to help you along and could prove to be a hinderance at a job. Fair enough you cant know everything but you'd be expected to know a fair bit without relying on a source. Though we all need help at times...you know what I mean though

Try and be specific of what type of work it is you want to do then show those skills in your portfolio.

Jay

Thanks jay. I am going to work on a large outdoor scene and take a lot of screen shots. I will make it really detailed. I will then put up my website and add scene as I finish them. Thanks for the advice. I have been working with maya for three years and still don't know how to render out a scene in wireframe LOL! How do you do that.

# 17 28-10-2008 , 07:47 AM
I think at your level, stop trying to make a showreel and really try to home in your skills. Read up on the subject, if you want to make your own ideas, read around design and character design, color choices etc.

Its very important to stay focused on what you want to be and what the skills are to be sucessful in that area.
For example if you want to be a modeller you cant just jump in and model stuff, you have to be aware of anatomy, typology and where your model will be going next in the pipeline and how to cater for that.

Set the bar high, and plan and inform yourself of the skills are my tips.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 18 28-10-2008 , 07:51 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah Laurie is right. Also decide that if its modelling you want to do, what sector do you want to get into, games or vfx/tv these areas differ alot from each other

Jay

# 19 28-10-2008 , 08:06 AM
Its true true true, that being said, i know people who have probably decided that too early than is healthy. Its hard to make a decission if you dont know what its like. I spent... 4 years making rubbish before focusing on anything.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 20 28-10-2008 , 08:15 AM
The Nurb Herd
i've found this thread very helpful, as i'm also working on my portfolio.

Thanks guys.