Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-12-2009 , 08:08 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Alien Character

Hey All

not put work on ANY forums for a while, been too busy working on my house, getting back into Fishing (yes the sport) and getting settled in a new job as a modeler for Cinesite in London which is awsome......

anyway, heres one of my latest characters about to get underway, started the base head, about 35-40mins so far, will post the concept on my website asap....

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Miss_Nova; 03-12-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Thumbnail
# 2 05-12-2009 , 08:24 PM
Lifetime Member
Looks like the alien sketch on your sketch blog? Will be interesting to see this one progress!

Loved your fantasy creature sketch. For some reason it reminds me of the Ohmu in Nausicaa...not the horns but the weight of the creature. Nice!

-Jacques

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 3 05-12-2009 , 08:41 PM
The thin red line
What type of fishing? Im into barbel but not been out this season yet....dave

# 4 05-12-2009 , 10:33 PM
Awesome! I too enjoy fishing although I have not been out much this summer. Going onto winter now and I don't enjoy ice fishing.

Gratz on the new gig at Cinisite. Oh and while I am at it have a happy xmas and best wished for the new year.

Best of luck and look forward to more of your work.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 05-12-2009 , 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
Grats on the new gig. I will be following this so you better finish it, no pressure user added image

- Genny
# 6 05-12-2009 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
Hi again Jay. Congratulations. Been looking at and learning zbrush while youve been away. Will you be using zbrush within this piece?

# 7 05-12-2009 , 11:54 PM
Halfloaf:

Yeah thats the sketch, I just need to put it on my other site

daverave:

Carp mate, though Ive had two barbel this season too actually, only around 6 pounders but nice all the same. Went last weekend in the rain and cold, had a 2 pound bream for my efforts, I was not a happy chappy though, the carp were teasing all day!!

CTBRAM:

thanks man you too.

Gect:

Thank you, it's been going well. LOL yeah it will get finished, all my stuff does.

BenHobden:

Thanks mate, yeah definately a bit of ZB will be thrown in. Glad you've been working at it....

cheers for now
Jay

# 8 06-12-2009 , 12:21 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
lookin forward 2 this

# 9 06-12-2009 , 02:33 PM
Hey Jay,

Looking forward to how this is going to come together.

Didn't know you were into fishing? I'm into it too though bnot been out much this year went out quite a bit last year up to some local fisheries. Live reight near the Birdgewater canal so thats handy, about a 3 min walk. Good fun as its a bit of a mixed bag there, got a 3 pound carp out of there last year too which I was very surprised about!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 06-12-2009 , 07:20 PM
Murambi:

Thanks, should have an update later hopefully.

Steve:

Cheers Steve, Ive only got the head design so far, but its a remake of a character I did a couple of years ago for Outlaws, he's going to be seen soon in the story so gotta get him done.

hey cool mate, thats a little one, but for a canal thats a good size, I caught 11 of them back in November, the biggest was 10LB, it was out of a match lake, Im actually upgrading my fishing gear, got a new carp rod and a new reel. I went last weekend in the bad weather by myself as my fishing partner was beaten into submission by his wife to go christmas shopping poor bloke, anyway it was bloody freezing. I was all rigged up for carp on the bigger lake where we live but I only managed a bloody 2 pound bream all day, bit disappointed but hey it was a fish, Im off next weekend, hopefully the weather will ease off a bit. And I WILL catch a 20LB carp!!!

This is where I go, its about 20miles from home https://www.monklakes.co.uk/

cheers
Jay

# 11 06-12-2009 , 09:57 PM
Update, heading more toward the concept design now, and looking better in the topology too.

cheers
Jay

user added image

# 12 06-12-2009 , 10:53 PM
Technical Director
Hey Jay, how's it going? Long time no see. Crazy at work here as well.

Looks like one of the characters from the Worms game, or whatever it was.

It's looking good. Will the close edges on the nose cause problems when smoothing it? They look a little close from here.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 13 06-12-2009 , 11:06 PM
Hey John

good to hear from you.

edges...Im not at all worried, they are where they are, thats the design of it, level one will be fine on a final smooth, the rest the dismap can take care of....

cheers dude, a new update follows shortly

Jay

# 14 06-12-2009 , 11:24 PM
last update for today

cheers
_J

user added image

# 15 07-12-2009 , 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Wow, dudes got a chin on him. I'm actually taking notes on edge flow especially around the mouth.

- Genny