Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-11-2004 , 10:33 PM

Freelance Work

I’m just wondering (Kurt, you’ll probably know this), with freelance work do you tend to work for various big/small, unknown/known companies on a contract basis, or just work for ‘any old Joe’ that contacts you. Surely there’s any guarantee of payment/job security etc? Also, does one contact companies or is it the companies what look for you. And finally – hours, when not in a studio setting, couldn’t people simply fake the hours they work, thus getting more money.

This is no real relevance to me atm, but it something that I thought I’d ask as I’ve always wondered.

I appreciate the answers.

user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 2 03-11-2004 , 12:36 AM
It depends on the client, really. Now, I'm speaking from a web design/development position but freelancing is freelancing. Most of the work I've gotten is through establsihed companies via friends/contacts I worked with before in another web shop or via small boutique design companies looking to outsource some work. It's good because it allows you to establish yourself and build up a clientele though there is the whole catch-22 situation of not having those contacts to network with when you're starting out. Most folks will say get yourself out there and network...go to 3d tradeshows and introduce yourself to ppl...present yourself well...have a professional looking business card.

It's also important that when you do work with a client, you get them to sign off at different points of the project or you can cost yourself a lot of time and money....really create a valid business plan and pay attention to any tax laws you may have to deal with. Independent COntractor taxes can bury you if you're not careful.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 03-11-2004 , 12:42 AM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah, having a good network of business friends can help a lot with freelancing, especially other freelancers... And sharing the love can go a long way. If a freelancer gets a big assignment that he can possibly farm out some work to another freelancer he knows, he'll likely return the favor if the occasion presents itself for him.

# 4 04-11-2004 , 08:48 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ahh haaa

Freelancing, god that word has been the bane of my life the last couple of weeks. I've been pitching for work here there and everywhere and all I've had back is F.T.W.s' (F****** Time Wasters)!! These guys have been emailing me to do hi res character work, and get this, FOR NOTHING!!! I mean jesus christ where the hell did they come from??!! I think they've taken the word FREE, literally.
If any of you guys know of anyone who's actually genuine and wants some stuff done, would you mind passing my name in there direction, thats if you are not available to work in the first place.
Many a grumbled Maya Worker
_J

# 5 04-11-2004 , 09:23 PM
Missed this post=(...

Ya pretty much what has been said covers it.

I have done a few jobs for small unknown places as well as 1 or 2 with companys that i've heard of.

Contacts are a must if you can get them it just covers both you and the employer so both of you know whats expected how much money and time frame for the work to be done.

Money for art work I usally ask for a bit upfront to buy supplies depending on the job. For design jobs a bit of cash gets me new markers, paper. etc. For the digital stuff money comes when the job is comepleted. The employer doesn't get the final model till money has been paid and has signed off on various jpgs along the way.

I've done charcter design work where the money was actully really great for just concepts as well as having a nice clean contract. Then sometimes you fall into the possible jobs where they want the whole farm all at a cheap price. Sometimes depending one the situation I've have taken a few.

Hours change from project to project... Usally as an artist you will have a idea how fast you can produce the work so you take that and add a few hours just incase something comes up that takes the project a bit longer so your covered.

The main thing with freelancing is like Mike said is contacts. Once you start getting a bit of recognition from contacts and other artists work becomes a bit easier to find.

Ever since I complete the Cyber Frog I've been contacted many times for small modeling jobs as well as being approched by a magazine and a CG art book to use the image.

Right now Kev and Dave keep me pretty busy so I pretty much working fulltime for them and they are great to work for.

Hope that helps bud..

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 04-11-2004 , 11:24 PM
Thank guys, that just about clears it up.

Although i also wonder if freelancers have to pay VAT (tax returns etc) on any jobs do. Obviously yes if you’re a small business-like setup, but one-man-business? - would a student who sometimes does the odd freelance job be counted as self-employed?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 7 05-11-2004 , 01:21 AM
When it comes to tax right now I do save aside money for tax time. It really depends on how much you make. In canada if you make less then 6000 a year you dont pay tax anyway.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 8 05-11-2004 , 01:22 AM
The Maya Mountain
When I was a contractor, it was essentially as if I was working freelance. As such, I had to pay Federal Taxes in quarterly installments. So every 3 months, I had to pay 25% of my projected taxes.

Well, I didn't HAVE to. If you didn't pay quarterly, you could also pay all at once in April like normal. Paying $2000 every 3 months was a lot easier than $6000 all at once, though!

Of course, this is taxes from the US... other areas of the world are obviously different.

EDIT:

Same in the US, if you make below a certain amount, you don't have to pay taxes on it.