Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-07-2006 , 01:27 PM
The Maya Mountain

July/Aug Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

Challenge: Flexible Proceeding!

Say what?

First a little background, back when I was in art school, one of the early assignments we did was to draw from a hat two words written on a piece of paper. One word was an adjective, the other was a noun. We'd then have to create a piece of art depicting this combination. It was quite challenging!

My assignment combination? "Cylindrical Mike Tyson"

Er...

Haha, so what I ended up with was a boxing ring, with a boxer character whose body was a big macaroni tube with arms and legs... and wearing boxing shorts and gloves of course. user added image

So, I thought it'd be a different and unique challenge for us to do something similar. I browsed the web and found this site which generates different adjective and noun cominations:

https://www.creativityforyou.com/combomaker.html

The title of the challenge above was the first combo that was on there when I visited the site. user added image

So, how about some rules?

--------------------

THE GOAL

Create a piece of art using an adjective/noun combination found from the above site as your "theme." It can be abstract, a true scene, a prop, a character... practically anything goes! But do your best to try to capture the essence of the words that were generated for you!

Obviously I can't stop people from clicking the "Generate" button more than once as they look for a pair of words they like, but if you're wanting to go for a REAL challenge, try to use the first pair given to you! user added image

--------------------

1) Show progress! This proves that you have worked on the challenge during the challenge timeframe! Show your conceptual process as much as possible! The combinations of words can sometimes be pretty random and thus.... pretty obscure! Concepting ideas out first will be very important to get the creative juices flowing!

2) Label your thread thusly:

July/Aug - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.

You CAN choose to upgrade from Noob to Normal at any point during the challenge. You cannot go from Normal to Noob, however.

3) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

4) Any 3D application is applicable to participate, but as is obvious, the simply sites' main focus apps at the moment are Maya, Max, Lightwave, and Zbrush. 2D applications such as Photoshop are fine as well, especially for textures and such.

5) All work must be done by the participant. All work must be done within the confines of the challenge dates and not before.

6) Try not to attach images to the forum that are larger than 640x480. Feel free to host larger images yourself using 3rd party means.

7) Only one (1) entrant per applicant. You can work on as many as you'd like but keep it all in one thread. Choose the one you want to enter as your final.

8) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge. Final entries should consist of the word combination you were given, some form of concept work, and then the final piece. If you have no scanner or camera and no way of posting the concept art, that's fine, but at least try to get it up there as that's one of the more interesting parts of this challenge. user added image

The due date of the challenge is approx. 7am September 8th, USA Pacific time. Get it in before to make sure!

Normal Grand Prize - $400 US!

Newbie Grand Prize - Two Simply DVDs of his/her choice!

Ask any questions here! Make sure you check this thread periodicly for rule updates as we work out the details!

# 2 02-07-2006 , 05:29 AM
Subscriber
This should be a fun one user added image

Cant wait to see what people come up with.

# 3 02-07-2006 , 06:04 AM
Hey Mike,

Any chance we can see that macaroni Mike Tyson?

Just to give us an idea of what you are after, of course. user added image

# 4 02-07-2006 , 01:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
haha, fraid I no longer have that piece. user added image That was done quite a while ago!

Hey, guys, just to make sure I make it clear, you really don't have to use the first combo that you get, especially if it's just something so totally off the wall that you really don't like it. This challenge is supposed to be fun afterall. user added image

# 5 02-07-2006 , 06:38 PM
Subscriber
May people with Maya Persornal Learning Editon Enter the Competition?

# 6 02-07-2006 , 07:02 PM
Subscriber
I'm quite sure it is. A few members here use it.

# 7 02-07-2006 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
i dont have my beloved maya with me...
iam vacationing so no maya.
but this is definantly at great competition.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 8 02-07-2006 , 07:44 PM
The Maya Mountain
sure, PLE is perfectly fine

# 9 03-07-2006 , 03:20 AM
Subscriber
eheh, i finished the last chalenge, but i was on nightshift this weekend, not able to use my pc user added image this time ill make sure to get it in a week ahead!

eheh macaroni

Pretzels and Beer
Pizza Pockets and Computer programers
Shortcuts and 3D artists

May we always be together.
# 10 04-07-2006 , 03:51 AM
Subscriber
I should be finished with my demo reel shortly and just may try this one! I'm not sure what qualifies one as a "Norm" or "Noob". I will check the forum and see what the criteria are!

BTW fun website! I may have already found a combo...!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 11 06-07-2006 , 08:53 AM
Subscriber
I'm in, well I will be when my computer is up and running. Any day now hopefully!

Great idea Mike,

Mat.

# 12 07-07-2006 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber
booya! only 10 more days till i start work on this chalenge... in 10 days my 2 19 inch flat panel lcd screens should be in!!! my dual 17 inch crt's are pretty much buzzing all the time...

Pretzels and Beer
Pizza Pockets and Computer programers
Shortcuts and 3D artists

May we always be together.
# 13 08-07-2006 , 04:42 AM
Subscriber
Would you judge any less of a piece that got new words?

I got "forthcoming flame". I like the idea but I generated some more and got "orthodox garden", and that one hit me.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 14 08-07-2006 , 12:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
no not at all. use whatever combo you want. user added image

# 15 12-07-2006 , 02:06 PM
p.s, when are the previous challenge results in??? user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P