Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-09-2007 , 12:34 AM

animaton and texture problem

Hello, I was working on a character for a game, and I placed bones and joints into it for animation. The problem is when I rotate or move the arms or the head of my chaacter, the UVmap on his face doesn't look the same, and it gets really crazy. If anyone knows if they can help me, or knows if i'm doing somtheing wrong with the animating or texturing, please do help.

Here are my images of the problem in Maya 8.0 in a zip file.
Please open the file, and look at the images, as it may help you solve this problem.

ThankYou
- Tammy

Attached Files
File Type: zip texture before and after.zip (82.1 KB, 244 views)
# 2 12-09-2007 , 07:11 AM
Well that is rather strange as the UV should not change when you rotate etc an object... you arent supposed to be able to move uv's in a 3d views at all.

You've tried deleting its history or just applying a new uv to it?

Good luck, you will need it. user added image

# 3 12-09-2007 , 03:23 PM
Thankyou Weyu.

I'm not sure how to delete history. What does history mean in 3d modeling terms? If you could please tell me how to delete it, that would be really awsome.

Also, if there's anything else I might be doing wrong with my textures or animation, please tell me.

- Tammy

# 4 12-09-2007 , 06:26 PM
i can't open your attachment as I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure from your description that you do just need to delete history. make sure your model is in bind pose and then just select it and go to edit>delete by type>history.

history is just a record of everything that you have done to your model - you can see it in your channel box on the right. if you let it build up it will slow maya down. you can also select different commands that you have performed in your history and potentially change their parameters after the fact.

hope that helps...user added image

# 5 12-09-2007 , 09:13 PM
Thankyou everyone!

I think I found that the texture problem only happens when I use smooth bind for the skeleton of the character. This is really odd. When I use rigid bind for the skeleton, the textures are fine when I move the character. Also, every time I delete history, the model's skeleton becomes unbound from the character. It's no longer attached. I know this because, when I delete history after selecting the character and/or skeleton, I can move the joints in the skeleton without the character moving with it.

# 6 12-09-2007 , 09:58 PM
yeah - deleting history after binding will delete the binding. just detach your mesh first - there should be an option to keep your weight values.