Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 20-03-2008 , 08:47 AM

Modelling help...

I have modeled half of a character. One side is exactly how I want it and the other side is a bit of a mess to be honest.

Can someone point me in the direction of a tut to show me how to slice off the bad side down the middle of the character and duplicate the good side to mirror on the other side?

I remember seeing this done before but not sure of the right terminology to source a decent tutorial via google. Any help on keywords to search for would be greatly appreciated...

# 2 20-03-2008 , 09:28 AM
from the front, cut the mesh in the desired (ie mid) point of the body using Cut Faces Tool with delete cut faces option enabled and u'll have the desired half 'good' side. now use the mirror geometry tool to mirror it in desired axis (usu. x-axis) and get the 'half good' character transformed to 'full good' character !

FYI, both tool is under polygon menu. if u still can't find it, have a look at the pic below.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 20-03-2008 , 09:37 AM
Subscriber
Hi,

If your using polygons, you can simply delete the faces on the unwanted side.
I use two methods of mirroring geometry;
- In the polygons tab, choose mirror geometry [], then choose the mirror side, press ok. (this method fuses the halves together)
- In the edit tab, choose duplicate [], then put -1 in either the X,Y, or Z scale section.

I use maya 6, but I bet they haven't changed much in later versions.

Hope this helps.

# 4 20-03-2008 , 10:10 AM
Wow, I think these have been the best replies I have ever had on a forum!

Thank you RockyMills_01 and effacer for taking the time to give me such detailed replies. I really appreciate it and look forward to giving it a try.

Thanks again...

# 5 23-03-2008 , 03:36 AM
Another tip: before mirroring the model, be sure to align all the vertex which lie on the mirror plane, so you won't have holes and overlapping faces after the mirroring.
To do so, a quick way is selecting all the most left vertexes in the front view (if u are mirroring the right part of the model, otherwise u have to select the right vertexes of course), enabling the Snap to Grid, and, move them to the closest grid vertical line. This will align al of themm on the same vertical plane. Now, deactivate the snap to grid and bring them back to the original position, always keping them selected all together. Now you are ready for a perfect mirror user added image

What creature are u modelling? Show us the result when you are done!

Dave

# 6 23-03-2008 , 09:51 AM
Senior Software Developer
For Heavens Sake do not use Mirror Geometry, it can bring you a whole new nightmare.

Delete the unwanted faces and duplicate, then combine the 2 pieces and merge the vertices. But ensure you are 199% sure you are done...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 25-03-2008 , 09:30 PM

Originally posted by R@nSiD
For Heavens Sake do not use Mirror Geometry, it can bring you a whole new nightmare.

didn't get ya, mate...

# 8 26-03-2008 , 03:16 AM
Senior Software Developer
Mirror Geometry can cause issues with your topology, as it can miss vertices, or weld vertices you dont want welded. Its just simpler to do it manually by duplication and merging, then you know its ok...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 9 26-03-2008 , 10:30 PM
abt issues with topology, i'm not 100% sure. so i agree with u but i think i won't discard this method for the fear of unwanted vertices being welded coz mirroring option comes with either merging vertices or not. agn with topology, you can always del history n continue work, it is an issue... but any way i do agree with u R@nSiD coz before i knew mirroring, i followed the process u mentioned. still i do keep on switching the process - mirror or manual job - whichever makes sets my mood.

# 10 26-03-2008 , 10:54 PM
To be honest I dont think I've ever used mirror geo, I always do it manually, only takes a min and I know where I am with it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle