Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 14-03-2008 , 09:07 PM

Is my rig good enough?

I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong thread...I'm curious if my new PC rig will work well with Maya 8.5 or Maya 2008, specifically the graphic card. I have Maya PLE, but probably can get a hold of the full version.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
250GB SATA Hard Drive
4GB Ram
128MB nVidia GeForce Go 8400

I am pretty positive that the processor, speed, memory is perfect, but I'm a little bit iffy about the graphic card. I'm not a hard core gamer for PCs, (although I'm going into Game Art and Design). I know that if I want to play the games that gamers play (WoW, GOW, Halo, etc etc), it's better to have a better graphic card.

I thought 128mb will be good enough, then I thought to myself, what about 3D modeling stuff. It's too late for me to change it to 258mb, but I wanted some assurance that it is perfectly fine to do modeling, graphic stuff with 128.

# 2 16-03-2008 , 02:51 AM
Your card should be OK for modelling, but in models with lots of geometry in shaded mode and depending on the quality settings, textures and stuff it will probably lag.

As for games, it should run WoW (think the min. requirements is a 32 MB NVIDIA RIVA TNT2), but I don't know about the others.

Just out of curiosity, isn't the GeForce Go for laptops or is my knowledge of computers a bit outdated?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 16-03-2008 , 08:56 AM
Yeah, I assume that it is, because I am getting a "desktop replacement", yes a glorified huge laptop. :-) 17" widescreen baby! This is coming from someone who has a stinking 14 inch with only 1080x800 screen resolution...it's TOUGH to do maya with just a small window.

I *might* be able to change the video card later in the future, but I'm hoping that my speed and RAM will help a bit.

I don't play WoW anyways, so having a graphic card made for games doesn't matter to me at all. I'm a casual PC gamer.

# 4 17-03-2008 , 08:47 AM

Originally posted by LadySekhmet
Yeah, I assume that it is, because I am getting a "desktop replacement", yes a glorified huge laptop. :-) 17" widescreen baby! This is coming from someone who has a stinking 14 inch with only 1080x800 screen resolution...it's TOUGH to do maya with just a small window.

I *might* be able to change the video card later in the future, but I'm hoping that my speed and RAM will help a bit.

I don't play WoW anyways, so having a graphic card made for games doesn't matter to me at all. I'm a casual PC gamer.

Cool! user added image

A "desktop replacement" laptop is always awesome! I've got a friend who had one of them, I think he had a 256 MB Radeon put into it (this is a while back so maybe it possible to get 512) which made a OK gaming machine.

Just wondering, does the video card actually come in a card? I'm just saying so cause sometimes they just solder the GPU onto the board and say its a "card" since its near equiv. to one.

Anyways, glad you're getting a widescreen, should be a lot easier. And I'm stuck with a 17" 4:3... meh. user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 5 17-03-2008 , 01:33 PM
Ive got a Dell XPS with the 7900 512 GTX in, rocks with maya and anything else, it goes to work and back every day and its pretty much bullet proof.

Yeah it is a proper card.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle