Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-05-2010 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber

Trim & Fillet problems

Hey Everyone!

I saw some vids about surface fillet (fillet blend tool). I tried it all afternoon but does not want to work properly.

The plan was to make a button
1: put a closed curvature with > projected curves on surface
2: trim it out
3: Using the curvature i tried to make a surface for the button....

Problems:
is it normal that maya 2009 64bit made false picture in perspective ? but at rendering it looks alright... (on the upper pictures)

after i made a fillet it does not look good anywhere user added image
(bottom pictures)

any nice idea?

cheers

joe

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-05-2010 , 10:41 PM
Lifetime Member
That first picture is just all black joey, cant see anything other than the curve line.

Im a newbie too and Im not quite sure what you are trying to acheive? I assume by the pics they are polygons? not nurbs? Are you trying to get an 'insert' hole/edge in there?? If you are I would either make some edge loops (you can delete the overburden), splitpoly tool and use extrusions to get what you want. Then you can make a 'crap' later and test the tool you are using. If I have trouble with new tools I do it the 'old' way to get my model going and try the new tool on a simple cube/sphere in a test job.

Booleans work too, though they also can be fickle. Sometimes I throw the curve tools out the window and just use edge loops and split poly to get my result, then just delete the suff I didnt want after. Sometimes its actually quicker this way, leaves you time to model. When you have a cup of tea while modelling I go to testing my tools on simple shapes in another 'test' job. Hope I helped and didnt confuse.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 15-05-2010 at 10:50 PM.
# 3 15-05-2010 , 10:52 PM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 15-05-2010 at 10:58 PM.
# 4 15-05-2010 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
user added image okey. you see...
i ll try in poly... i was so angry after 2-3hours...... try & try & try...

i ve tried it on a simply object too. i thought i understand how it works
Actually on the first picture the black part >>> its trimmed out part. you can see on the right edge where the circle part re.
The program trimmed ouit very-very imprecisely user added image

btw

thanks for your comment user added image

# 5 15-05-2010 , 11:11 PM
Lifetime Member
mate,

welcome to the world of modelling LOL user added image

I tried for 6hours!!!! on this keyhole to get a boolean to work! Then discovered (by trial and error) that putting split poly across the face it worked!!

Are both the shapes nurbs?

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 6 15-05-2010 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber
i read just a few hour ago that you ve to make a crossing line before boolean user added image funny

sure the 2object re nurbs user added image

i just dont understand why cant it trim out a proper way & after fill it the same way too..

i think a lot times its easier to find alternatives than standing on a problem user added image maybe you cant solve it & the time passes

# 7 15-05-2010 , 11:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Im an Engineering Surveyor mate and use a lot of software to do my job. I have found that sitting on a problem gets me introuble, so you are right!! Find an alternative for now and move on, then go back to it later. I have found that when I end up doing other things, UV mapping, modeeling a different section etc I 'find' my solution to the original problem The more you use it you will find by accident shortcuts etc. DONT give up on it though, keep it up and dont get mad or depressed like I do...LOL.

I dont use nurbs much so sorry I couldnt help more. You can use the curve tool on a live surface in poly, then modify to poly, then boolean dude. Thats how I get around it, there are a thousand ways to skin the cat mate.

bullet1968

# 8 15-05-2010 , 11:38 PM
Subscriber
I feel the same. just as you wrote. I use only poly & subd... never nurbs. I just found a new faster possibility, what s not working..

We got 2 little cats. Want one ? user added image

now i really go to sleep its 1:40 am...

Ciaoo

# 9 16-05-2010 , 12:29 AM
Lifetime Member
My wife and kids have 3 cats, I will skin one of them for you. Then I have one less to feed LOL.....

bullet1968

# 10 26-05-2010 , 04:04 PM
Subscriber
hey!

Which program do you use to make video? I mean not to video editing! >> to make 1second video of 25 rendered picture (or more).

cheers

joey

# 11 26-05-2010 , 04:16 PM
EduSciVis-er
A free program is virtualdub, and it even handles .iff images.

# 12 26-05-2010 , 04:20 PM
Subscriber
i try it

# 13 26-05-2010 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
it works well, thanks.
Why does the left picture have "circles" around the car. Is the framerate too less or i made some mistakes ? I tried to make it in hd quality.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Joey81; 26-05-2010 at 05:02 PM.
# 14 26-05-2010 , 05:03 PM
EduSciVis-er
I'm not sure... are you using any avi compression? One workflow I've used is to create completely uncompressed avis, (huge files) then edit them together and render out using a video editing program. Might get better results, I don't know.

# 15 26-05-2010 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber
yes. i tried two types of compressiod. One messed up with the colors... The file was like 1GB & 16or 256 colors user added image
The other made this.

Now i try the NON-compressed. 1.8GB (6second) but it looks good... when it try to moves user added image

thanks. i try to make some compression with Super